floor leveling cement

I am helping a friend with a small bathroom remodel including tile floor. Unfortunately the floor sags about 1.25" in the center. The room is roughly 4'x5'. I was wondering if anyone ever used self leveling cement to do this before. If so I would appreciate any advice. Recommended products, maximum thickness per application, preparation and so on.

Reply to
rodney_morgan

Try posting over on John Bridge's forum...great resource for anything to do with tile work.

kcinpb

1.25 inches is quite a lot of sag. Make sure you have no styructural failures before you try to level this up. In fact I think 1.25 inches is almost proof of some kind of serious problem. Better check it out.
Reply to
tmurf.1

I agree, 1.25 in such a small room is a red flag. The floor leveler will work, but will add a lot of weight. If the structure isn't good, you're going to make things worse. The base needs to be solid, or the leveler will eventually crumble from flexing.

Having said that, I have used the cement based self leveling floor compound with good results. The bag instructions will help you estimate how much you will need.

The decent stuff is expensive! It might be cheaper to rip out the subfloor, fix the framing by sistering or shimming the joists, replace the subfloor, and use a layer of cement board as the base. And if you can't see the framing from underneath, this would allow you to figure out why it's sagging so bad.

Some hints:

Have help. You want to mix and place it all before the first bag sets up much so you will have to move fast, because it starts to set fast.

Caulk every little crack and hole. Although the stuff seems thick, it will find even small cracks and flow through them. You don't want a couple of hundred pounds of cement on the lower floor's ceiling.

If you can, get one more 5 gallon pail than you will need bags, and premeasure the water. As I said, you have to move fairly quickly.

It does self level, but it helps to help it along a little with a hoe.

Use the recommended primer.

When you dump the bags into the buckets, there will be a *big* cloud of fine cement dust. Be prepared, and wear a mask.

Get a 1/2 electric drill with a big paddle mixer to mix it. It's heavy and stiff.

Buy one more bag than you think you will need. You can always take it back.

Good Luck!

Paul Franklin

Reply to
Paul Franklin