Floor leveler substitute

I'm putting down a small piece of vinyl flooring and the plywood substrate has a joint in it about 2' long. I hate to buy a whole bag of floor leveler mix, the smallest amount I can find is $25, so I was wondering if anything else that dries hard will do. Like caulking maybe, or drywall patch or panel adhesive.
Thanks
A product that will work well and is available in smaller containers is Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. The big can is about $7. You may find a lot of other things to do with Durham's. It is a great product to have on hand.
NO relation, no shill .............. just a multi generation and multi decade user. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

I've been using Durham's for years on countless things...successfully...long term.
Should work fine on plywood substrate. To anyone else who decides to use it, unpainted, it will absorb moisture over time.

Home Depot sells (or did recently) small plastic tubs of pre-mixed patch/levelling compound.
sheetrock mud works fine.
--
Steve Barker

"46erjoe" < snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net> wrote in message
you *can* use drywall mud... mix in extra water though so it's nice and thin... works like floor leveler this way.
Shouldn't be a problem in a low traffic area.