Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question

My Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid. It dont raise as high as it used to. I have never had to add fluid to one of these. I got a bottle of the fluid, found a plug on the top of the jack cylinder which I imagine is the place that gets the fluid, and was ready to fill it. Thats when I realized that I have no idea how full it should be, and whether removing this plug will cause the fluid to shoot out (is is under pressure with the jack lowered?). I decided to ask for a little advice before I open the thing. Everytime I think I know everything, it seems there is something new to learn every day !!!!
Anyone????
Thanks in advance for all help.
Mark
I realize that the plug you see is on the top of the barrel. Think about the "normal" position of that plug on a jack that is standing on its own base plate. The proper level for the fluid would be level with this hole when standing up.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the hole is in the base of the cylinder. Sort of like a bottle jack laying in it's side. I guess these floor jacks are really bottle jacks modified to lift the "frame" around them. I guess I will just fill it as much as I can, and hope for the best. I dont think too much fluid will damage anything, so I can always drain some out if needed,
Mark

I had a cheap floor jack with a similar problem. So I tried filling it up which proved to be an excersize in futility and eventually threw the damn thing out. Decided it would be easier / safer to buy a new one - instead of trusting my life to a pint of oil and a questionable jack.
Oh - and make sure you use jack stands.