Floor Drain Backup Question

We have a house that was built in 1963 that has a floor drain in the basement. The washing machine drains into a laundry tub with then hooks into the same drain line as the floor drain. About two months ago, we noticed the floor drain filling up whenever the washer would drain. This has slowly progressed past the drain filling and is now overflowing the drain if you happen to miss the drain cycle. If you turn the washer on and off a couple of times during the drain cycle you can eliminate the problem. Any ideas as to what the cause would be ( clogged drain line??) and why it would steadily get worse. The laundry tub that the water is draining into has two seperate tubs and the water also backs up into the one not used as the washer drains. It has been suggested that we could just fill in the floor drain, but I am hesitant to do so unless I know that it is the problem.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
David Henry wrote:

Yes, clogged drain *downstream* of the floor drain. Gets worse as lint, etc. collects at some point. You may be able to flush it out with a high pressure stream from a garden hose poked down in the floor drain. Else, rent a small sewer auger.
Jim

This
and
problem.
it
into
as
the
And, get some lint traps on your washer's output hose. Rough up the metal hose with emery cloth, and tie the lint traps on REALLY tight with plastic wire ties.
I had this same problem when I bought my house. The plumber said I could either excavate the basement, or snake it once and get religious with the lint traps. I chose "B", and never had problems again. He also found chunks of powdered detergent residue in the pipes, by the way. With some water supplies, the stuff doesn't dissolve sufficiently, especially if it's used with cold water.
He also found chunks : of powdered detergent residue in the pipes, by the way. With some water : supplies, the stuff doesn't dissolve sufficiently, especially if it's used : with cold water. : :
THANKS for the heads up!