Flood light install question

Hi,

I have cedar siding and I need to replace a broken flood light unit. The electrical wire comes through the wall through a hole about the size of a quarter and connects into the "box" of the flood light. I have looked far and wide on the net and don't seem to see these anymore. I only see ones which connect to electrical boxes that are recessed into the wall.

My question is - is it code to have a metal or plastic box for the flood light unit to attach to or is it ok to just have the wire come through the wall and into the unit? The unit will be subjected to rain and snow.

Thanks!!

Reply to
SMF

If the box is not integral to the fixture, you need to add one. Rab and Mulberry make rectangle and octagonal rain-tight boxes for outdoor floodlights. Depot, Lowes, or any electrical supply will have them

Reply to
RBM

You really should have a box. Surface mount boxes are still sold. They call them "bell boxes". Why I don't know. At Lowes they are not on the same asile as all the other boxes. In our stores they are one aisle over, near the low cost floodlights.

Reply to
Colbyt

Lowes does not call them bell boxes. They call them weatherproof pvc boxes.

Reply to
Colbyt

They were manufactured by Bell-Fulman

Reply to
RBM

It is a brand name, among other imitators. Sort of like Kleenex and Xerox..

Reply to
gfretwell

They (Arlington among others) also make cut in boxes if you want to keep that flush look. These are made for exactly what you are doing. (not garden variety old work boxes)

Reply to
gfretwell