Floetrol -- no instructions to shake before adding

Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it. All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.
Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.
What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Do you know of _any_ coating product that isn't stirred before using???
As for the effect, you simply got some of the carrier w/o much of the ingredients; it'll have no effect.
Floetrol is, of course, recommended at absolute bare minimum (and is rarely actually _required_) by ever paint manufacturer I'm aware of. Paint's much like motor oil--if it needed additional additives, they would have put them in the paint to begin with.

Perhaps - but MAN, does it make a difference!!!!!!

You know, I am sixty years old, and I have always shaken milk before pouring. I know it is all homogenized and all that stuff, but it makes me just feel better to do this.
I know that shaking varnishes and clear stuff makes bubbles. But for most everything else, I shake.
Except Dr. Pepper, that is.
Steve

Spirits?
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:22:15 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

You need to read the label better. Right under the orange/pink "swoosh" on the front of the container about 2/3 way down the black text, right above the "keep from freezing", in BOLD black print it says very clearly "shake well before using"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have three jugs of Floetrol. Two of them have labels of the same design; the third one is different.
I had used one of the first two jugs. On the front is written:
"Trusted by professionals"
<Flood logo>
"Floetrol"
"Latex Paint Additive Additivo Para Pintura Latex
Enriches paint's performance Improves application and appearance Makes painting easier
1 U.S. Gallon 3.78 Liters"
That is all.
On the back in small non-bold print under the table showing how much to use is "Keep from freezing"
Nothing about shaking.
On the front of the other jug is written (apart from the Flood logo and the name Floetrol):
"Enhances Acrylic Paint to Work in Any Condition
Realza la pintura acrilica para trabajar en cualquier tipo de condicin
Produce beautiful results -- even on trim Formulated to eliminate brush marks Makes painting easier
3.785 LITERS ONE U.S. Gallon 3.78 LITROS UN GALON U.S."
Again nothing about shaking.
This jug has "PROTECT FROM FREEZING" in bold print on the back at the end of the Limited Warranty statement. Nothing anywhere in bold or non-bold print about shaking.
Perce
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:54:09 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Obviously different containers in different areas or different times. How old is the stuff?

I would say that anyone who used the product in such a manner should hang up their paint brush immediately. How many seconds does it take to shake contents to assure mixing?
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've had these jugs a few months, I suppose. I looked at the image of the package on the Flood Web site and saw yet another different design and a bright orange jug compared to the light tan ones I have -- but with no sign of the "Protect from freezing" and "Shake before using" wording on the front label.
Perce

Ummm, none at all. HOWEVER, you did add ALL the floetrol to ALL the paint/primer/whatever and mixed it all up together in enough quantity for the ENTIRE project, right? If not, then DUH! you're screwed. Just like if you mixed two colors of paint together without mixing them up.