Floating Electrical Box

G'day Mates!

I have a electrical outlet on the exterior of my house that apparently is not attached to anything. by that, I mean its not nailed or fastened to the studs in any way. It 'floats' between two studs. why its this way I dont know its always bothered me because it moves around alot when you plug/unplu soemthing into it. the box was fastened to the siding.

My question is: How can I fasten it more securely without cutting anymore siding or making any holes from the inside?

Thanks

Reply to
FlagshipOne

GE Silicone will glue it into place.

Reply to
Phisherman

there are many electrical boxes designed for "old or remodel" work. They typically use wings to force the box on to the surface. The wings work like toggle bolts after the installation. Top and bottom brackets where the devices go are on the front surface. If the hole is cut out correctly I have seen these installation work for many years. Remove the power, remove the cover and check it out. If the top and bottom are the problem then break a hacksaw blade a little bigger than the width of the hole and retighten the wings on the sides. If the sides are the problem then you will nee to locate some box bracket supports, also called battle ships. cause that is what they kinda look like. Ideally you could cut a new piece of siding and place in over the old area and cut the whole properly. I suggest you tie your extension cords so that the plug is never strained in any way

I hope this is clear and I have helped, I am sure there will be other ideas.

Reply to
SQLit