Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Page 8 of 9

You have to remove the spindle and then probe down the spindle hole. If you don't have the tool and have to do them one at a time it helps to insert a key in the lock and use it to pull so the clip you did doesn't pop back while you do the 2nd one. It can also just be knocked out like other people have suggested.
Here it is step by step:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4vxnd/kwikrekey.html
DB wrote:

Has this horse been beat to death yet?
Beat to death, and starting to turn to glue.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Then considering you were the first to respond to it why didn't you just give a useful answer the first time you responded? Come to think of it I still haven't seen you tell them how to get it apart and here you are still on the damn thread.

Chances are they won't take the time to replace the pop-out.But even if they do, it will look like someone drove a screw into the keyway. The Kwikset-or Tylo, or "kwikkie" or "pop-job" is a very prolific and cheap lock that lots of people buy because they are cheap. I have done plenty of them when I first started doing locksmithing years ago. I don't work on them or rekey them that much because they are so easily replaced. Like the other guy said-you bring it to the shop-I'd probably do it for free. There's probably a lockie out there that would do that-or not for very much.
Next time you want a lock for a door, go stand in front of the door.If it's the front door stand on the outside and stand right in front of where the knob/lever is. Now position your body so that half of you is in front of the door and the other half of you is front of the wall next to the knob/lever. In other words imagine that the frame of the door (next to where the knob/lever is)is a vertical line running parallel to the middle of your body. Stand a few feet away from the frame with your arms down. Now bend your arms at the elbows like you are shooting 2 pistols from the hip. Which hand is closer to the knob/lever? If left hand-It is a left hand door If right hand-it is a right hand door If the door opens outward in either case-it is reverse. So it could be right hand-(If your right hand is closest and it opens inward)or right hand reverse-(If your right hand is closest and the door opens outward) Or left hand-or left hand reverse.
Alot of grade 1 and 2 locks will be handed, so you are better off, especially if you can tell a locksmith"Well, I need a deadbolt for a Left-Hand door" or "I need a deadbolt for a right hand reverse door".
Hope this helps. goma.
On 17 Jan 2007 17:51:06 -0800, goma865 wrote:

I'm confused.
In this thread, people already previously said the handedness was simply a matter of where the hinges are. If the hinges are on the right, it's a right hand door. If the hinges are on the left, it's a left hand door. Or so I was told.
Is that not true? Does it really depend on whether the door opens outward or inward?
on some locks... rh, lh, lhr, & rhr... on some locks and strikes it matters.. not on a Kwikset and rarely if ever a deadbolt! Roger

If the door swings out, it's called a "reverse bevel".
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:06:33 GMT, you wrote:

totally? yes
--Shiva--

a.. Left Hand (LH): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand (RH): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens in, it's a right hand door. You push the door with your right hand. a.. Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens out, it's a left hand reverse door. You pull the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse door. You pull the door with your right hand.
a.. Another way to determine door "handing" is to imagine yourself standing in the doorway with your back against the hinges. Swing your right or left arm in the way that the door swings. If you swing your left arm then the door is left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed. This method does not require a reference such as "from the outside" or "from the inside".
above from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door
check out (Door Swings) about 2/3rd down the page...
g'day
--
"Key"
========
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:14:45 -0600, you wrote:

Good news.
It might have taken a hundred posts, but now I have my Kwikset "Tylo" lock cylinders properly set into the entry knobs on my RHR entrance doorway.
Rather than wait for the rather helpful Kwikset Consumer Support to send me the Kwikset cylinder removal tool which they said was in the mail, I went back to Home Depot armed with the helpful suggestions in this thread.
With the confidence gained by all of you posting the information in this thread, I asked for the locks to be reversed. The first floor person said there was no such thing. I didn't waver as I had a printout of your posts in hand. He brought them to the lock-department floor person who said the Kwikset entry knob cylinder reversal instructions were in the package. I gently said "I wish it were true". He analysed the instructions for about three or four minutes before conceding this was true.
Luckily I flagged down the key cutter who knew how to remove the Kwikset Tylo entry knob lock cylinder. She too never knew about the cylinder reversal needs but, after reading my printout of these posts, she at least popped the lock cylinder out in seconds for me. In addition, she handed me a spare Kwikset cylinder removal tool and said "keep it" as she had plenty in her key drawer.
I thank all of you for the expert advice. Without you, I would have gotten the wrong answer at Home Depot.
Even the, shall we say, less than expert advice was helpful in that it helped me gain the confidence that I wasn't the only one clueless about how to properly buy the right lock for my RHR entry doorway!
Thanks to you all this record will help everyone who comes after us with the same lock questions!
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all across US do as part of their trade.
Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her) job.
I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)" instead of doing internet teaching for free.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why so cruel? What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with Home Depot? What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?
I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot and asking questions on the usenet?
I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than Home Depot or OSH or Sears. A door lock seems like a common enough household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a stronger lock.
Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?
As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the "Titans" but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five inch latches.
Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans? Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security on?
If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts (although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it really matters to have grade 1 locks).
Sandra
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There's not enough time to explain. Think about it, why has there stock tanked over recent years while the housing market was booming?
Service, Service, Service - plus paying their corporate heads millions for being incompetent.

Both Sears and Lowes are far superior.

Sears doesn't compete with HD in many if not most areas. Many Sears/Craftsman brand power tools are also total Chinese made crap. As far as customer service Lowes is about the same. No better no worse except that they don't have self checkout so you will wait longer to get out the door.

Cause he is SO pissed off about a prolific, disposable nine dollar lock that he can't help it.He sees the conglomerate of Home Depot as a looming fire-breathing dragon that will fry him like an egg.He worships the Tylo like a holy grail-LOL-He probably has a 2x4 poster of a Kwikset over his bed. Oh yes he has Kwikset on his front door-Whoopee Shit-If he had a Yale 5400, then he could rub shoulders with the elite class, but he can't...so he takes it out on you, an innocent consumer who knows how to ask questions in order to get things done,and that shows intelligence-And He can't handle it!!!! He carries a pickle fork!!! And he knows how to use it!!! (as an ass-scratcher) Just ignore him!!!

Nothing-we are all learning.Once we quit learning or refuse to learn-we are done.

They just suck-they stock way too much garbage and they don't pay their workers shit!!! A competent locksmith beats them all to hell when it comes to service. Home Depot's delivery time to recieve something that is not in the store-2 weeks or never. My time-three to 5 days.

Nothing-Any time you have a question-post it here. Did you try the spindle move? It does work-had to do that last night-LOL Did'nt mean to confuse you by "shooting from the hip" but that's the way I do it.
goma.

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

CY: You can apprentice like anyone else. Learning is good. But expecting it for free is different.

CY: They are my competition.

CY: What's wrong with asking (for free) for the wisdom I worked to learn?

as little as

Home Depot and

CY: Yep. Compared to getting good service by hiring a pro.

other than

CY: Hint: Open yellow pages. Look under L section. Look for heading "Locksmith".
A door lock seems like a common enough

that you

impression that I

deadbolt was a

puller? CY: Well, your ignorance is showing again. I'm not going to tell you why.

the "Titans"

the Kwikset

my five inch

CY: Actually, my suggestion is to call a locksmith. You're being a cheepskate, still. Which doesn't surprise me, cause leopards seldom change t heir spots.

my security

CY: If you want security, call a locksmith.

deadbolts
much it

CY: Your local locksmith can answer qeustions.

I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up about ? this is "alt.locksmithing" the guy wasn't asking defeating instructions. also home depot is not any locksmiths competition.
--
"Key"
========

the above is all I meant to include in my response. just hit that send button before I trimmed it..
g'day
--
"Key"
========