Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Page 4 of 9

Yeah I have, and they are still better than kwikset.
Nate Nagel wrote:

And even worse the Home depot Kwikset locksets are the total bottom of whatever little quality Kwikset has.

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:49:08 -0500, George wrote:

Which lock manufacturer do you suggest we consider for ease of flipping from a left hand configuration to a right hand configuration?

Kwikset.
Read Gary Heston's post -- he's the only one so far who has given the correct answer to your question.
--
Regards,
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:35:44 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Thank you for the advice. Gary Heston gave a good writeup and SMS provided a fantastic set of photographs & documentation direct from Kwikset.
"http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4vxnd/kwikrekey.html " "http://www.kwikset.com/Trade/Literature/Resources/Rekeying%20Manual.pdf "
These are wonderful and they won't only help me but they will help many others install their locks correctly.
I still wonder about the ethics of Kwikset but I do not have any more than a single data point so I do not know if the other lock companies are as unethical as Kwikset in their "fits all doors" "installs in minutes" "complete instructions" claims, all of which are not true for a very average homeowner such as me.
Gary is mistaken -- if you require the keyhole to be right side up.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 06:54:03 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

I took the advice of the Home Depot salesman. I didn't inherently have any gut feelings either way for Yale, Schlage, Kwikset, etc.
I do now have a very bad instinctive "feeling" about Kwikset. Basically, they lied blatantly on their package. That puts them at the very bottom of the pile now for me as that shows they don't have any ethics.
That in and of itself does not mean their locks are any worse than the competition. It just means I deplore their marketing practices and I can easily vote with my dollars in another direction.
The key question is whether the OTHER manufacturers are as bad? Are they?
Which manufacture is most honest about how "easy" it is to install their locks in the proper configuration?
"Proving he watches a lot of TV and doesn't know what a deadlocking latch is
wrote:> Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about

How am I wrong? I have defeated several "deadlocking latches" - both Kwikset and also good quality Weiser and Schlage - with only a thin piece of flexible plastic. If you want anything that will cause someone motivated to get into your house to have to take more than a couple minutes, you need a deadBOLT. As I said, any kid with a library card can defeat a deadlocking latch UNLESS you take other measures to keep them from doing so, like cutting a slot to catch the card in the door jamb. Even so they can sneak the card around the corner above the latch and slide it down.
nate
Steve wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

How...? the little extra pin still retracts when you push the latch back. unless you can stop that from happening, you will always be able to use the library card trick.
nate
Roger Cann wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
The little extra pin is called an anti pick feature. If it is depressed, you should not be able to push the strike back.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Why would you want to push the strike back? The strike is mounted wtih two screws to the door jamb.
http://www.vandykes.com/images/products/02256603-lg.jpg
You'd want to push the latch back.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00065IXGC.01-A1MLIIIAZAVNGZ.TZZZZZZZ.jpg
Real credit card burglars push the latch back.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

about
Steve wrote:

I'll be damned, you're right.
That must mean that there's a whole lot of crappy installs out there, because I can think of at least 3x off the top of my head that I've had to do the card trick and was able to pull it off in less than a minute. Once at a house I used to live in and at least twice on a big, heavy fire-rated door at a place I used to work. In fact, every time I've *needed* to get in a door, I've been able to.
The Weiser locks on my current house do appear to be resistant to "carding" as well as the metal weatherstrip would make it that much more difficult.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Deadlatching is one of the things most builders in my area don't understand. Also, most of my customers. I had an interesting conversation one time with a truck driver I know. He was telling me he could get into a certain building with two knives. One to pry back the deadlatch trigger, and a second knife to pry back the latch. I showed him what deadlatching was. How it worked. One of the rare moments when he didn't have much to say.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

it
the
latch.
There are a fair number. You will find fewer on commercial applications where the door and frame are usually both steel and there is very little give or flex.

it really depends on if the dead-latch is installed correctly. many incorrectly installed dead-latches doesn't allow the dead-latch itself to be restricted. as you probably already know, it has to be restricted from extending all the way out before the dead-latch function will even work.
my2
--
"Key"
========