Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Page 1 of 9

How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?
I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors" & "Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand keyed knobs and two deadbolts.
The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two keyed knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left). My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).
It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.
Do you know how?
I googled only to find a very tough to follow description of the lock knob keyhole reversing procedure sans pictures at http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t "7800
Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock that is set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a right-hand door?
The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no room to tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side up.
Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with pictures)?
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:03:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I should note this is a keyed "entry" lock, with no screws in the keyed half of the lock. If the keyhole reverses, it must be via some sort of lever or tab as there is no way I can even see to get the knob off.
I think the door entry lock part number is Kwikset 25513-001.
Where can I find PICTURES or DIAGRAMS of the procedure to flip a Kwikset entry lock from the left-hand keyhole position to a right-handed lock?
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:14:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This PDF of the type of instructions that come with my Kwikset entry lock does not explain how to reverse an upside down keyway. http://tinyurl.com/ymefs4
Oh my, I just realized I have to REMOVE THE LOCK CYLINDER in order to switch the Kwikset lock from a left-hand upside-down keyhole to a right-hand right-side up keyway! http://tinyurl.com/yzhu5d
So much for the "Easy Installation" and "Fits All Doors" on the package! :(
Why doesn't Kwikset just LABEL their package for left-hand doors only?
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:26:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The knob entry lock looks much like the photograph here http://www.inspectiondollars.com/kwiksetpuller.pdf
I'm shocked that I have to order this Kwikset cylinder removal tool just to get the lock to fit a right hand door.
Assuming left hand and right hand doors are each half the doors in the world, it seems inconceivable to me that we'd need a hundred dollar tool for half the houses of the world!
I must be missing something simple.
Do YOU know where SIMPLE instructions might be for switching a Kwikset entry lock keyway from upside down to right side up?
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:41:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I give up. I tried for hours to remove the lock so I could put it right side up instead of upside down in my right hand door.
It seems I lack a three-dollar tool. http://www.lockpicks.com/browseproducts/Simple-Kwikset-Core-Removing-Tool.html
Instead of ordering the tool, I'm so very frustrated with this 50 dollar Kwikset lock that I'm returning it to the Home Depot tomorrow.
What I learned so far is to never ever again purchase any door entry lock that doesn't SAY whether it's a right or left-handed lock!
Otherwise, half the time, we'd be buying the WRONG lock!
I suspect Kwikset did this on purpose but for the life of me, I can't figure out what perverse thoughts were in their mind to torture us so.
pull off the striker plate (on the back set) rotate the striker bolt 180 degrees then reinstall lockset.
wrote: | > I'm shocked that I have to order this Kwikset cylinder removal tool | > just to get the Kwikset lock to fit a right hand door. | > I must be missing something simple. | | I give up. | I tried for hours to remove the lock so I could put it right side up | instead of upside down in my right hand door. | | It seems I lack a three-dollar tool. | http://www.lockpicks.com/browseproducts/Simple-Kwikset-Core-Removing-Tool.html | | Instead of ordering the tool, I'm so very frustrated with this 50 dollar | Kwikset lock that I'm returning it to the Home Depot tomorrow. | | What I learned so far is to never ever again purchase any door entry lock | that doesn't SAY whether it's a right or left-handed lock! | | Otherwise, half the time, we'd be buying the WRONG lock! | | I suspect Kwikset did this on purpose but for the life of me, I can't | figure out what perverse thoughts were in their mind to torture us so.
Ah, now we get some more information. You bought the locks at Home Depot. Well, that makes you a frugal home owner. If you were interested in having it done, you could likely find a locksmith who would come out and do the install for you. And then he (she?) could do the cylinder removal for you. Actually, it doesn't surprise me that you're not a locksmith customer. If you were, you'd have the job all done by now. And you wouldn't be posting repeatedly to usenet looking for free advice.
By trying to save a buck on buying your own lock, you wasted several hours of your life. What is your life worth? What is your time worth? Was that a good use of your time? Spend hours to learn something you'll need twice in your life?
Just call a locksmith and be done with it.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:39:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi there Stormin Mormom, I do appreciate your expert advice.
The old lock jammed probably because the old five-inch long entry latch bent inside somewhere.
So, just before Home Depot closed for the evening, I stopped by, asked for help, and picked up a four-lock set (two deadbolts and two entry lock knobs) for about fifty dollars. I figured it would take all of a half hour to replace something as "simple" as a lock (I know.... I know ... it wasn't so simple in the end but I didn't know that so it didn't play into my decision tree).
To be frank, I could have bought just one lock or even just one five-inch latch. The main reason I didn't buy just the latch is that I didn't know what else would break so I wanted to replace the whole configuration. The main reason I bought four locks instead of just one is I wanted to do a good job by replacing them all, instead of just repairing the one broken entry lock. I want one key for the whole house (including deadbolts and entry knobs).
I started the job by nightfall assuming it would be done before dinner and as you can tell, it was midnight before I finally gave up for the night.
I guess I COULD have called a locksmith to install the four locks, but they'd have to get here before midnight to do me any good. Again, since I erroneously believed the "fits all doors" and "easy installation" claims of the package, I erred by not realizing that it didn't fit all doors (not without removing the cylinder) and the installation instructions were silent on this key task!
In the end, I simply installed a new five-inch latch and put the old lock back on. It's not as good a job, but I will have to get the right tool first.
Thank you for your expert advice.
My intention was to replace the lock and deadbolt on the outside door
Those five inch latches are not a common part. I've used maybe one of them in the 21 years I've been a locksmith. I still have one or two around some where, probably out in the service van.
Yes, replace the latch and put the old lock back is a valid thing to do. Someday perhaps you can get the cylinders inverted.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

home depot would have probably popped the cylinders out of the entry locks for you, if you would have just asked ? then after you installed the locks on your doors, you could have just popped them back in the way they needed to be.
g'day
--
"Key"
========

LOL I ran out of a blank a couple months ago and stopped in a Home Depot for it. It took 20 minutes to find somebody "trained on keys" then another 10 to find somebody "trained" well enough "on keys" to find it (actually let me find it) without one to physically compare it to. Then alot of confusion about how anybody could do anything useful with just a keyblank (no I'm not kidding). If you are a homeowner and want a basic F lock Home Depot is as good a place as any to get it but if you want technical expertise.................

Even if Home depot had somebody who could do it LOL the average retail customer doesn't know anything about it until they realize something doesn't look right. If Kwikset didn't suck they would just include instructions and a tool for people who buy their retail product which, yeah, I know, I already harped on.
I think Kwikset should just leave the cylinder out and let the end user snap it in.. Roger

I'm wondering how many end users have that skill?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I have a thumg and fingers -- and can't draw sketches of people. Neither can I perform surgery. Nor can I fly a commercial air liner.
You think something else is needed, also?
I like your comment about the ADA
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Two works, in many cases. I did a MK in a factory where someone had filed and ground the plugs. I ended up making a 4-step, and even then I could jiggle a couple of the keys to get em to work in different doors. I hope they never find out.
--
Christopher A. Young

Since you're going back anyway, see if the guy in the lock department knows how to do it. Maybe he will do it for you. If he can't, get your refund.
You have nothing to lose.
Don
I didn't look at your link, but a "kwikset puller" is probably different than the cylinder removal tool that I use. My cylinder removal tool cost less than a dollar at my parts house.
You're missing that Kwikset sells a very simple tool for reversing the cylinders. And you're also missing that some folks work at locksmith shops and learn from other locksmiths.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:35:57 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Stormin Mormom,
Thank you for your advice. I will try to buy the one-dollar cylinder-reversing tool that is described at http://tinyurl.com/yzhu5d
Following those instructions, I was easily able to pop out the center shaft but I was unable, with a screwdriver, to pop out the cylinder.
I assume I can pick up the cylinder removal tool at a local hardware store?