Flight MH370 disaster - new theory (asphyxia - air problems)

Page 5 of 9

I wonder how much is sunk costs and how much is marginal. Some of this could also be used as training for some of the specialties.

but what they conceal is vital.

From talking with a friend who is an ATC about this in another context said that would be very dependent on the strength and type of radar, how close it is, and other obvious factors (not the least of which is the attentiveness/skill of the ATC). So, especially at the outer ends of the range, it could happen.
but what they conceal is vital.

It used to happen all the time - that's why they went to using transponders to provide ID info next to the blips on the radar screen. I believe the hijackers bet on the fact that at 1AM everybody, including the observers in the military radar stations, is a little bit sleepy. They certainly knew where to "fall off" the radar screens - at the handoff between Malaysia and Vietnam.
--
Bobby G.

It leads *me* to wonder why it's even *possible* to do that. What legitimate reason could there ever be for turning off the transponder on a passenger airliner while in flight?
Doug Miller wrote:

Already been discussed in one of these threads.
When on the ground (in a hanger, at a gate, etc) it adds visual clutter to ATC screens if all such aircraft are squaking their beacons.
I suggested that the beacons have supplementary power through an interlock with the landing gear - so that when the gear is up, the beacons are powered and CAN'T be turned off. Normal circuit breakers or fuses would provide plenty of safety if the beacons malfunction and need to have their power cut - with said fuse or circuit breaker for the supplementary power not accessible to the crew while in flight.
<stuff snipped>

To avoid being tracked. If they were going to ditch, so what if the transponders on or off? But if they wanted to take that plane to one of the 600 plus airstrips within range, turning off the transponder was a necessary step. The lack of anyone claiming responsibility hints that there's another shoe waiting to drop here. Perhaps a ransoming of the passengers, a release of Chinese political prisoners, etc.
I think we can guess that whatever is involved, it concerns the Chinese because even though it was a Malaysian plane, it was primarily filled with Chinese. I am wondering if a number of the people on the plane traveling with supposedly valid passports weren't who they purported to be. I think it's possible this is a ransom attempt of some kind that may still play out or ended badly prematurely. That would imply enough associates to control nearly 200 people.
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

WNYC prepared a map of all airstrips/airports within range that could accommodate a 777:
http://www.thedailystar.net/600-potential-runways-for-missing-plane-to-land-15819

Could they take off again from such a short runway? I haven't found anyone who could answer that question - yet.

I wonder how many countries actually pay close attention to their radar scans. Malaysia certainly appears not to have done so.

Which makes me pretty surprised that the Malaysians didn't scramble any fighters to check out the blips they saw. I suspect some heads are going to roll for that.

If their target was crashing into something in China their best bet was to keep flying toward Beijing. This is, as my boss used to say, an RFM - real fu&ing mystery.

That would be similar to what happened with KAL007 and the AF fuel tanker whose tracks merged as they approached Russia. I still think that was an attempt to analyze Russia air defense systems and their readiness. That "test" went terribly bad and was based on the assumption the Sovs would never shoot down a passenger jet - even one that strayed over highly sensitive military targets. Bad assumption, obviously.

Why go all that way to ditch when they could have done it at any time earlier in the flight? Even the voice recorder, if found, won't be much assistance with the two hour overwrite "feature" likely obliterating the important moments just after takeoff. The pieces of the wreckage won't tell us much since it's obvious this wasn't a bomb. AFM for sure.
--
Bobby G.

On 3/16/2014 1:47 PM, Robert Green wrote:

With a good head wind, maybe.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That's an interesting point. Didn't Yossarian constantly practice ditching his plane for his eventual escape to Switzerland in Catch-22? Until you mentioned that, I really didn't think there would be any potentially incriminating evidence to be found concerning the simulator. The big question is if he did it, WHY? Family member held hostage? Promise of a huge payday for delivering a plane that size intact somewhere? A need to be remembered like D.B. Cooper as the man who "did it first and got away with it?"
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:05:17 -0400, "Robert Green"

He may have been using his simulator to practice flying low, through the mountains to get under ther radar and take this plane to Tibet or one of the Stans.
Once he got out of the immediate search area, it is possible a random blip popping up, might not attract that much attention.
This plane could be under a tarp somewhere in the Taklimakan Desert ... or just wadded up on the side of a mountain.
<stuff snipped>

ditching

be

with

This incident has some pretty high-tech planning according to some reports since the circuits that were disabled required knowledge that most pilots wouldn't have. If you believe the reports, that is. Someone wanted to conceal where that plane was going. That would be much more important to a thief or someone wanting to hold the plane for ransom that it would be to a suicidal pilot. But then again, it's probably a mistake to expect a suicidal person to behave rationally.
While the level of expertise seems too much for the Chinese Muslim separatists to execute, there are helpful intelligence services all over the world that would train them just to make the Chinese go through hell. Russians, Syrians, Iranians, etc.
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:27:44 -0400, "Robert Green"

If the pilot or co pilot were involved, getting any information about that plane would be fairly trivial, the book is probably ON the plane. If they were planning this for a while it would make sense that they found out what they needed to know and touched each one of those breakers at least once before they started so they could do this fairly quickly.
I had another thought about this. China may have tracked that plane from the git go, followed it to it's final resting place and either shot it down or just dropped a bag over the hijackers when they landed it. If this was really a political act, covering it up is more like China than going on CNN and bragging about catching them.
The guys would be tortured for information and then just "disappeared". If they really wanted to cover this up they would sprinkle a few bodies and some floating artifacts somewhere in the South Indian Ocean to be "found" later.
<stuff snipped>

the

Agreed. Certainly Shah, the pilot with the huge simulator, appears to have been able to easily acquire that data. I wonder if MS Flight Simulator teaches users how to disable the transponder. Some of those simulators are notoriously accurate.

I'd say it was pretty well planned since they obviously got away with it - to some extent. Whether the plane was landing in one of over 600 places that could handle such a plan remains to be seen. As we've both postulated before, it may be rammed into silt, sand and mud after a vertical flight into the ocean.

I think that after years of suppressing the Muslim Uighurs in their outlying districts that the Uighurs, possibly with a little help from a state actor like Iran or Syria, took the plane. The fact that these two pilots published photos of themselve frolicking in the cabin with teenage girls alarms me. A terrorist would seize on that sort of information to trick those pilots into opening the cabin for some very bad girls.

Well, that's always been an option for China.

I wonder if we'll ever know. The secrets of this hijacking/diversion/whatever may have died with the crew and passengers if they ditched in the Indian Ocean. There's a possibility that the jog south was just a false lead and that when they were well out of ground radar range, they set course for their true destination.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

If Shah put the simulator to any use as part of the hijacking, it wouldn't have involved stuff like how to turn off the transponder - because turning on or off the transponder is routinely done by pilots and they know where those switches are.
What Shah would have done is practice landing the plane at a particular remote airstrip in VFR conditions.
I would be looking at his simulator to see if he manually added an airstrip to the simulator's stock or built-in list of airfields. Did he create a new airfield, input the parameters (type of surface, length and width, height above sea level) and maybe some topo features, surrounding buildings, antenna's, etc.
And as I mentioned in the other post -
What was the complete list of cargo being carried on that flight?
Or, to ask that question another way -
How much gold was central bank of China buying that week?

Wouldn't tell us anything either way. (1) being checked out on the plane, he would know where the switch it. (2). It would also be in the manuals that are carried in their flight bags (or flight iPads depending on the airline.

I can't see Iran or Syria doing that to China. First of all, China has consistently sided with both on the Security Council. Secondly, China has fewer concerns about retaliation than even our most hawkish people in the US have. Doesn't make sense for those two to risk it.
but what they conceal is vital."

have

are

It would tell me if there were idiots at MS that valued realism over common sense. (-"

No doubt. But I've read that disabling the ACARS (incompletely, it turns out) takes a lot more knowledge and access to an electronics bay. I'm bowing out all this supposition because of this article:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/
<<For me, the loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense in a fire. And there most likely was an electrical fire. In the case of a fire, the first response is to pull the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one. If they pulled the busses, the plane would go silent. It probably was a serious event and the flight crew was occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, navigate, and lastly, communicate is the mantra in such situations.>>
I feel a little guilty at how many people are ready to turn a pilot who apparently is a community minded guy who does home repair(!!!!!) videos into a sucidal monster and a mass-murderer. For karmic reasons, I am preferring to believe that he did everything humanly possible to get the aircraft to a safe landing zone and failed.

outlying

actor

Yeah, who would expect the US to spy on Merkel's cell phone and the whole EU. We're allies for God's sake! (-:

Council.
I believe that's readily explained by China just being a dick. Same reason they support NK.

hawkish people

They can always claim "rogue operators." It works for the big banks, why not countries?
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

If there were any air marshals is a big "if." Outside the US it's clear that people don't take air security as seriously as Americans do. That makes sense because we've taken some pretty enormous hits, from Lockerbie to the WTC. I'm just afraid that we'll never know what happened, even if the voice recorder is found because it overwrites previous recordings every two hours.
My current thinking (which changes as each new data tidbit dribbles out) is that terrorists somehow learned that these pilots have had female visitors in the cabin before and used that knowledge to gain entry. Russian terrorists have long been equal opportunity employers with the last two planes that crashed brought down by suicide bombers who were women - one I believe was the widow of a well-known terrorist. IIRC he was a Muslim and the Russkies made a point of filming him being buried in a pigskin bag in an undisclosed location. Clearly that got her worked up enough to take drastic action (although I may be confusing events).

A week later. They move very slowly in that part of the world, it seems.

Nor to me. He apparently built his own using several PC's running MS's flight simulator and feeding six different monitors. What do they call that? A busman's holiday?

Yes, I just read something about a racecar driver's passion for driving games. I don't think it's unusual. From what I've read these guys don't seem like the suicidal type, but you never know. My bet's still on someone getting into the cabin, probably a woman (because they've apparently "partied" with women in the cockpit before) and killing them and taking over the plane.
I still suspect the Uighurs because the plane was Chinese and they have been cracking down quite hard on them. The problem with that scenario is that they would probably want to crash the plane into something symbolic in Beijing and not ditch it in the ocean. It seems more and more likely every day that we will *never* know what really happened on flight MH370, even if the black boxes are found.
--
Bobby G.

We can still get plenty of evidence. Is there just one voice on the recorder? Are there extra voices? What is the content of any conversations? Did the pilot at the end do a culture equivalent of Slim Pickens riding down the bomb in Dr. Strangelove? All sorts of interesting things are still possible.

I haven't seen anything yet that I would consider to be data. Rumors and conjectures, but little data.
but what they conceal is vital.

two

But, as they say in the adult film biz, the "money shot" would be missing. If a lone hijacker killed both pilots I suppose we might hear pounding on the cabin door five hours later, but if the passengers were asphyxiated, as some people have suggested, all we might hear is the heavy breathing of the hijacker. And perhaps "low fuel, low altitude" alerts as the plane crashed. Just finding wreckage seven flight hours away would have told us that already.
Maybe if the hijacker was explaining how "peace on earth" equalled "purity of essence" out loud to him imaginary friend Mandrake we could determine they were shi+ stomping crazy . . . (-: (Ironically a lot of Strangelove concerns a rogue plane flying under Russian radar after the Russians wasted time pursuing decoy targets and got fu&ed - life imitates art.)

is

I think the end of the transponder tracking is trustworthy because it's mutliply sourced. The Malaysian government and FlightRadar24 both confirm that and FR24 uses independent listeners connected by the net. I believe the pilots have had cabin guests before because someone published a picture of them with a woman in the cockpit. I think it had enough fuel to get to Beijing and then some. I believe that the transponders were manually disabled, but indirectly because a) they stopped and b) if the plane broke up, they'd likely have found the wreck once the adults arrived to help. Everything beyond that gets sketchier and sketchier, I'll agree.
BTW, I called my buddy in Chicago who's flying home tonight to warn him of the storm predicted for our area. I'm very familiar with the "ring pattern" of his phone but this time it rang four rings longer before it went to voicemail. Just saying - ring patterns don't mean much compared to all the other non-evidence and innuendo we have.
In the end, both the airline and Boeing will find a way to blame the pilot. It's a tradition! (Also, the pilots have the shallowest pockets.)
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

There's a possibility that a part of the plane has been found WAY outside the proposed search area but within the fuel range of the jet:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/africa/mh370-debris-investigation/
a.. Source close to investigation says Boeing officials, looking at photos, see element unique to 777 part b.. There are indications part is from Boeing 777, but indications otherwise as well c.. Experts say it is too soon to determine if part is from Malaysian Airlines 370
--
Bobby G.