Flies in the house...?!?

Just moved into a new house (actually, house isn't "new" - just bought it) and am finding a few flies around. I've killed maybe 15-20 now - wondering where they'd be coming from. I'm in New England and they seem half dead already, probably from the cold. My concerns:

  1. Where do they normally come in from? I can't seem to locate a location they're coming in from;
  2. Could they possibly be an indication of a larger problem?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share...

-Dave

david snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dave DesRoches

:) Just moved into a new house (actually, house isn't "new" - just bought it) :) and am finding a few flies around. I've killed maybe 15-20 now - wondering :) where they'd be coming from. I'm in New England and they seem half dead :) already, probably from the cold. My concerns: :) :) 1. Where do they normally come in from? I can't seem to locate a location :) they're coming in from; :) 2. Could they possibly be an indication of a larger problem? :) :) Thanks in advance for anything you can share...

They are probably Cluster Flies that will Winter over in the walls. If yall have had a little bit of a warm spell after some cool weather they have become active and found their way in from exterior walls and attic areas. Or they have come in to winter over and the area they are at, is still warm enough for them to stay active and again have found their way inside. If the house has recessed or can lighting, that is where they are coming from, though there could be numerous entry points about. Can be a yearly ritual. They are parasites of earthworms so there is no way to treat a source. Attic treatments can be helpful in dealing with them. Timely exterior treatments at the end of Summer next year may also help.

Another possibility is that a few weeks ago a rodent had died in the attic/crawl area. Long enough for the odor to be gone and about the time the blo/flesh flies may go from egg/maggot/pupa and now emerging as adults. This will only last a week or so if that long.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

Dead animal somewhere...Sorry..

Reply to
Bill

Probably "Cluster Flies". They are especially common in vacation homes. They get inside and go dormant until someone turns up the heat.

You can bomb the house with a few cannisters of stuff designed for flies, but they will likely return eventually. You can also try:

Which will control them without using any nasty poisons.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

We had the same problem Do you have a fireplace? If so do you have a chimeny cap? If not it might be similar to our situation - dead squiril in th chimeny above the flue.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

You wouldn't happen to live in Amityville?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith