Flies

Page 2 of 2

LSMFT wrote the following:

Get a good email screener They can stop files from getting in. :-) .

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I take it you use your transporter to beam in and out of your house so you don't have to open the door ?? LOL...

<stuff snipped>

<grin> Even that method is prone to error, as David Hedison found out,flying around the garden and getting stuck in a spider web, waiting for Vincent Price to mercifully swat him after a fly hitched a ride into the transporter chamber and heads got switched. "Help me! Help me!"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622 /
Bart Simpson's adventure was just as good when they used "The Fly" as the basis for one of their "Treehouse of Horror" episodes. Even Jeff Goldblum's turn at bat was interesting and now the hairs on my back *really* creep me out and I don't like elbow macaroni much after seeing the baboon transport gone horribly wrong.
But seriously, we had a fly problem at work, on the 16th floor of a building without any fly troubles or obvious entry points (sealed windows).
The cause turned out to be a co-worker who brought in a house plant from home that had been sitting outside for a few weeks in the summer, having thousands of eggs laid on it.
I had the same experience, bringing in plants that had been sitting on the front porch. I haven't made that mistake since. I even nuke potting soil in the microwave now, because my little mistake ended up with more flys than you can imagine. Each fly has the same iridescent green markings that suggested they were all hatchlings from the same batch of eggs.
I learned a lot about the life cycle of the common house fly that year, which can go from teeny gnat-sized (still the same shiny green color) to large regular fly to giant old fly in a month. But mostly I learned never to bring in a houseplant from the porch once it's been sitting out there long enough to get covered with fly eggs (about 2 days will do).
Also, when very young, flies are quite small enough to pass through the mesh of the average window screen and then grow so quickly they can't exit the same way.
-- Bobby G.
LSMFT wrote:

I knew a guy who was a "slobsophrenic". That's a crazy slob if you're wondering. He wouldn't take care of his cats beyond throwing some food on the floor for them. The cats would become ill and die under the house. Flies would find any opening from under the house to come up through the walls or any kind of crack in the flooring. It was very strange and disconcerting to see flies come out of nowhere. It's quite possible that you may have had some sort of critter die under your house and it is now a mother ship for maggots.
TDD

Got mice, mice die, Get flies