Flies

Page 1 of 2

I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in? I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.
--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:

door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice them at the time.

This might be a plausible source for the flies: maggots or eggs that you brought in from the yard.
Long ago, we had a mountain cabin. Like the house you describe, it was as tight as I could make it. I don't recall ever seeing a fly or even a bug in the cabin. Then, one summer evening, I poured a glass of Jose Cuervo tequilla and went to bed to read and watch TV. There was still a good bit in the glass when I went to sleep. The next morning, when I got up I took the glass into the bathroom to dump out the remains and to rinse it out. What I poured into the sink was at least 3 DOZEN gnats/fruit flies. I'd never seen them before and never saw them afterward.
The theory we cobbled up was that in walking about in the yard, someone in our cabin stepped in "something" that contained the eggs or maggots, and then tracked them into the cabin. They happened to come to maturity on the day or evening I poured the tequila.
FWIW, I followed up with an insect attractant-type of bait. Over 2-3 weeks it was in the cabin, it attracted nothing at all.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

== So tequila is good for attracting fruit flies? Good to know. ==

Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the glass first. <Grin>
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

Yellow jackets love soda pop. I let you fill in the blanks.
Steve

...and beer. DAMHIK
AIUI, they're only into sweets part of the year. In the fall, again AIUI, they're into protein for the winter nap.
Steve B wrote:

Yellow jackets, and lots of insects seem to be a little smarter than us. Or at least their sense of smell is more sophisticated then ours. You won't find a yellow jacket in a can of DIET soda. They don't smell sugar and keep on going. That should tell us something.

It tells us that there is no food value in diet soda, something most of us already know.
Spanish speaking fruit flies?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Roy wrote the following:

How do fruit flies reproduce? :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You drink Tequilla and read? Most of us drink Tequilla and then hunt something to F or Fight. :) And it really doesn't matter which one.

Hey, Tequila will make you go to work on your day off !

I worked extensively with fruit flies as a teacher's aide. My job was to hatch and raise them for student's genetic projects.
I would guarantee you that if you went to the fruit and vegetables in your house right now, that there would be fruit fly eggs on them, ready to hatch out.
The flies you saw at your cabin were probably already there, or just reaching a stage where they could fly. As with the OP, the flies were either already there, or were in a stage ready to hatch out and fly. Without very expensive air filtration systems, or poison, it is very difficult to eliminate flies anywhere, as once you do, more move right in.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

kill or dog turds in my house for maggots to feast on.
--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
Peter wrote:

I thought house flies had to be maggots first. I don't have any road kill or dog turds in my house.
--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
On 4/6/2010 8:47 AM, LSMFT wrote:

track them in on your shoes. In any case, hang a few rolls of fly paper from your porch ceiling and don't worry about it. At least you're not afflicted with an infestation of termites, stinging insects, or other far more bothersome critters!
LSMFT wrote:

In Vermont, snow would slide off the slate roof of the church and pile up all winter. On the first warm day, thousands of flies would emerge as the snow banks melted. On an autumn evening, I suppose they would crawl under a warm slate, then hybernate, then freeze, then be pulled of by sliding snow, frozen but alive.
I sometimes get flies in my house in winter. I believe they crawl into a warm exterior crack as winter comes and eventually find their way into the house.

Probably a window's virus is just spewing out extra files.
Colbyt wrote the following:

You beat me to it. :-)

--

Bill