Flickering Bulb Question

This may be a hard problem to describe but I'm going to give it a shot here. I have tried various searches but couldn't find any info. I am renting a very old house, it's very large and was converted into three seperate dwellings. I don't now how long ago this was all done but I am assuming it was at least 25 years ago.

Anyway, recenlty I have had a problem in the bathroom. Over the mirror there is a light fixture with two bulb sockets. A week or so ago one of the bulbs didn't light so I assumed that it had burnt. I had no extras on hand so I couldn't check. I then noticed that the other bulb has had a hard time lighting when I flip the switch. It does light most times, but will make a buzzing, popping or crackling noise. I then tried that bulb in the other socket and it did the same thing.

At first I thought maybe it was just a case of the socket wearing out or a loose bulb. Then just now, I went into my basement to get something and one of the two bulbs down there has starting o do the exact same thing. I know it's not a case of overloading, all of the bulbe here except one are low wattage compact flouresants. And I did try an incandecant bulb to see and it does the same.

What could be causing this?

Reply to
TheGatekeeper

If they are buzzing and popping at the location of the fixtures, I would guess a loose connection to the fixture, and the same thing in the basement

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
buffalobill

. . Agreed; could be a bad switch, bad wiring connection, corroded (damp bathroom etc.) old fixtures etc.

But you are renting? And since you have to ask are not very technical????

Tell landlord. Don't try to fix it yourself you might be be liable i.e. become part of the problem.

Reply to
terry

If you have fuses check them ALL.

Some older homes have a fuse (not circuit breaker) on the neutral. Over many years this can heat/cool/heat etc. causing a cracking in the fuse. Many folks don't realize but in a 240V system the neutral doesn't always carry current, and rarely the full designed load. But when a neutral fuse partly fails things get really weird. I've seen it!

RickR

terry wrote:

Reply to
RickR