Flea infestation

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@scoobydoo.net says... :) On my way to petsmart. Their online site lists Zodiac and Adams :) foggers. One has IGR, don't know about the other one. 13 bucks for a :) three pack. :) You would probably be better off using the carpet spray rather than a fogger..though with the foggers you will kill other hiding insects/spiders in the home.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Yes, you'll have to protect dishes, etc from the fog. It may be less labor intensive to use some masking tape around the cabinets. Personally I never went that far....just made sure all the cabinet doors and drawers were shut and nothing was out in the open. I haven't turn into a mutant yet, although some of my friends would dispute that. But technically you should protect dishes and pots.
If you feel more comfortable spraying the curtains, go ahead. Personally I think the foggers will take care of it. If you do use the spray, I would read the label to make sure it won't discolor or damage fabric. And these foggers have residual effect. I never needed to re-fog a number of weeks after the first time.
And if you have a pilot light you are supposed to extinguish it...I think. (In response to the person who said your house could blow up.)
Just make sure you read and follow the directions on the can.
Bonnie

Yah, if you have pets, all their bedding and other places they hang out. We also had to do the vehicles cause they often ride with us. So don't forget there, too. Often though it's the yard or grass. Around our dog houses we plant Hyssop, it's a natural flea repellent. (I've heard Horseradish is too,if you make it liquid and spray it on carpet, but have never tried it and have no reference for that remedy.) Around the outside of the house hyssop and Marigold. No problem with flea's since the first year we moved in, but that was enough. I think some years are worse than others. It's those dang Asian ladybugs (Harmonia's)that gets to me. 2_biz (nothing against flea bomb's at all!)
--
-

Buying Boric Acid from the vet, ouch, I bet that was fun. Everybody should buy a can, but from a 99 cent store for a big one, the stuff is dirt cheap. Also not to be confused with Borax, which is more a laundry and plant type stuff.
I don't like bug bombs, and would only use one in our house for some extreme issue.
Fleas live on the ground, so a direct local treatment is the best option. I would also skip the poison and just use boric acid and growth hormone.
Boric acid is a GREAT preventitive measure, lightly dust with it in all the nooks, crannies, and backs of cabinets and most bug problems don't get started.

Yah, I'm not to sure who you are replying to about "Buying Boric Acid from the Vet." But your re: is to me, maybe my newsreader missed a post somewhere? We used boric when we lived in the city, and before we had the baby. Bottom line follow the directions as it can be harmful to kids, plants and pets. Boric acid is good against bugs, no doubt. Ortho makes a good product, mop up the floors and vacumm the carpets with-in 24 hrs afet using boric diluted. Not to sound smart Alecky, but who would confuse Boric with Borax. We all know Borax is the Zane Grey 20 mule team Boraxo stuff, right (-: Boric attacks the bugs central nervous system after they crawl through it, thus spreading it behind cab's and in cracks and crevises, mostly roach hang-outs.

Yah, I hated it when the fleas became an extreme issue, but they did, and the bombs controlled it to where alternatives (Boric,lauryl,clove, etc.) then worked wonders.

My Shepherd is more the flea expert, but I'd venture to say you are mostly correct about where they live. I won't be throwing his flea collar away anytime soon though. And I'd guard him the plants and kids from any direct treatment of any living space.

Boric acid has it's advantages and it's cheap. Not a cure all, but worth the investment. To get completly rid of them...declare war and never surrender. Good post Mike and good advice but should come with a caution also. (imo) 2_biz
2_Biz snipped-for-privacy@allthetime.grr. writes:

you'd be supprised... although both are reasonable treatment for pests and both are pretty safe for humans. (boric acid is used as an eye wash iirc)
You can make a pretty good termite treatment form boric acid, borax, and propylene glycol (pet-safe antifreeze).
commercially it sells for 80-90/gallon.... you can make it for about $20. Google Search for bora-care and tim-bor if you are interested.
--
be safe.
flip
ByzeiwIG wrote:

Do you have a pet? When we treated our cat, with Advance or whatever it was, the fleas disappeared. It's been a while, and the cat is gone, so I don't recall the name of the stuff. When we got the first prescription, the vet also advised dusting carpet with boric acid powder, which we purchased from him in a rather large cannister. He advised leaving it on a week, then vacuuming it up. As it turned out, we did not need to use it. Trust me, bug bombs are worthless. Vacuuming religiously and disposing of what you vacuum is important. Eggs take about three days to hatch, I believe, and you have to kill the newly hatched before they lay eggs.
Norminn wrote:

They sure worked for me. The cat brought them in; the bug bombs took them out. End of story.
I'm not suggesting foggers are the only way to rid oneself of fleas; I'm only saying that it is one of the ways to do so, and it does work... particularly if you'll repeat the spraying in a couple of weeks. The idea is to catch the newly hatched fleas before they mature enough to lay their own eggs, breaking the cycle.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

They worked for me too. Stopped them dead in their tracks. But if you have a pet you should get rid of the fleas on them the same day. If I am moving into a new home that had a pet, I routinely bomb the place before I move in to start off with a clean slate. I absolutely hate fleas and ticks.
Don't forget to spread an insecticide around the yard - - that's where they come from RJ

ByzeiwIG wrote:

Yes, of some sort. Regardless of what you eventually choose, be prepared for the eradication process taking much longer than you think - up to a year - because the flea eggs are viable for a long time. If you have been thinking of getting new carpets, now is a good time...but get rid of the old carpets and the fleas/larvae/eggs they are harboring first.
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
I have had fleas in a home a few times and I would recommend a professional exterminator. That worked for me both times. Since you don't have a pet this should be pretty easy. We had a cat so I would send the cat to the vet for a flea shampoo while the house was being treated by the exterminator.
Good luck.
Steve