Flatting out ductwork ... (pt 2)

This is a continuation of the following thread: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/287021dc1fe2c8f8?hl=en
I visited HD and found a transition to 2-1/4" x 12". (27sq") Here are some photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/basement009/Duct # I need to flatten out the ductwork and have it hug the microlam to recover about 3" and make room for a header for a standard door. View full size to see the labels.

There is no reason to start a new thread - there is nothing wrong with the existing one.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/287021dc1fe2c8f8?hl=en
*Looks like a nice easy run. Post some after pictures so we can see the change.

There were some suggestions on finding a tin shop and having them fabricate a piece that would transition from 6" round to rectangle bend under the microlam and back up.
Why can't I just buy some tin from the hardware store and fabricate my own from tin and pop-rivets ? It would save a lot of time and money designing and explaining it to someone else.
Does it have to be Tin or can it be galvanized steel ? and do I have to worry about aluminum rivets corroding with the steel ?
Thanks

There were some suggestions on finding a tin shop and having them fabricate a piece that would transition from 6" round to rectangle bend under the microlam and back up.
Why can't I just buy some tin from the hardware store and fabricate my own from tin and pop-rivets ? It would save a lot of time and money designing and explaining it to someone else.
Does it have to be Tin or can it be galvanized steel ? and do I have to worry about aluminum rivets corroding with the steel ?
*From what I see in your photos, you don't need any special transition. It looks as though you can run your 2 1/4" x 12" duct directly under the existing round. You just need to insert a round collar into the 12" and connect the round duct directly to that.
Normally galvanized sheet metal is used for ducts. I have also seen ducts made from aluminum. If you think that you can do it faster than a sheet metal shop go ahead. When I have something made I give them a crude drawing with dimensions. They enter the dimensions into a computer. The plasma cutter cuts the pieces and a tin knocker rivets or crimps the pieces together. Takes about an hour or so and they have the materials in stock.

.
What does it cost you for an hours labor to fabricate a unique piece

What does it cost you for an hours labor to fabricate a unique piece
*I have paid $25.00 to $70.00 for various pieces over the past few years here in NJ. They seem to give me a better price when they are slow like now. Summer is a busy time for them and I usually have to wait a few days while this time of year they may have it ready the same or next day. Shop around. I have had some work done at another place and it was real nice and fast, but the price was quite high.

Its going to be 2 weeks before I can get to the other side of the basement finished and then work on this side. I will post some more pictures when I get that far.
Thanks for your feedback.
Sid.