Flat washers

I knew a guy who worked with C and S, and he says the gates are operated by low voltage DC in the tracks. If the tracks are connected (pole, wire, auto jumper cables, etc.) the gates go down.

Unsure about federal offense. Most likely, every other fun thing is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That, I've heard. Destroying currency. Not allowed to melt down the old copper pennies. Not allowed to punch hole in coins. I've heard of folks in middle school using the hole punch in sheet metal class to punch holes in pennies. But that was decades ago, and it's just some thing I heard.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren, technically, your assertion is incorrect.

There is no US code against the destruction of currency. If you wish to burn a million dollars to ash, there is no crime. Mutilation, etc of currency is only a crime if there is fraudulent intent, for example it you were to mutilate a $10 bill and attempt to pass it off as anything other than a $10 bill.

The indisputable pivotal word in the code below is "fraud". There is no fraud in putting a coin on a railroad track so a train can flatten it.

However, it is illegal to trespass on railroad tracks and it is most certainly illegal to tamper with rail equipment.

USC title 18, Section 331

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened -

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both

NOT just sayin'

Reply to
Lab Lover

Slice and dice your own words as you will. However, there is no doubt you asserted the following: "Destruction of our currency is illegal." You are incorrect, it is not illegal.

You asserted this relative to the discussion of crushing of a penny under a train.

You then went on to tell a completely unrelated and irrelevant story. Yes, counterfeiting is illegal, not much of a news flash now is it?

Reply to
Lab Lover

"to drill a hole in a nickle, dime, or quarter to get the right size - "

I used to have about 100 big black plastic washers. 7 inches diameter, with about a 1 1/4 inch hole through them.

I think they're buried in my cellar someplace...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

...snip...

Working as a teller in NYC many years ago, we were taught to count bills by looking at the president's face, not the number in the corner of the bill. Watching the face not only makes it easier to spot a traditional counterfeit bill because the face is harder to get perfect, but it also makes it very easy to spot the poor man's technique to "counterfeit" a bill.

People would cut off the right and left side from 2 different bills, e.g. 2 twenties, and tape them to a bill of a lower denomination. The original bills were still good because both serial numbers were left intact. They would then stick the taped bill into a stack of bills and buy something. If you watch most cashiers, they'll hold their hand over the face and count by the number in the corner.

We used to get big cash deposits from a lot of small stores and every now and then I'd be counting a stack of Jackson's when suddenly Washington would show up. Hard to miss that if you are watching the face, regardless of how fast you can count. The fact that the altered bills made it to my window from a small business proves that their cashiers weren't paying attention to the faces.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The one time I tried with the nickel it stuck to the track. The other time it may have stuck to the wheel because I never found it

Reply to
clare

When I was a kid, if a railroad cop caught you putting anything on a train track, your parents were called and you got a butt whupping. Today, a 9 year old would be turned over to the FBI charged with terrorism and paraded in chains for the TV cameras. What's happened to my country? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well heck, if a 6 year old points his finger at another kid and is seen by the police are called. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My Italian grandfather had jars full of Indian Head pennies. He came home one day to find that Nana had taken them to buy bread. My mother couldn't leave my things alone when I was out of sight either so I guess it was hereditary. To this day, I lock valuable items up somewhere away from human females when I'm going to be gone so nothing vanishes behind my back. I've been known to set harmless booby traps such as fire horns connected to a magnetic switch in a drawer. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Wow, those indian head cents must have been worth more than face value. What a shame.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren, nothing you have said above changes the fact you were wrong about the "destruction of money being a crime". The USC was provided as a citation.

If you would like to resurface the issue of children again, start a new thread, I have no problem taking you to task, yet again.

Reply to
Lab Lover

You are such a little drama queen Dufas. If a 9 year old were caught putting a coin on a railroad track, at worst, he would be detained, the parents would be contacted, they would be warned about the dangers and educated that what the child was doing is criminal trespass.

Yes, if the child were caught placing 5lbs. of RDX on the tracks with an improvised cellular detonator, he would probably be arrested.

Reply to
Lab Lover

How about these kids? (It's long, but it appears to just repeat so you don't have to watch the whole thing)

Minor Childrens Performed Stunt on Railway Track Mumbai Local Train...

DerbyDad03

What about them?

Reply to
Lab Lover

...snip...

Relax. Not everyone is picking a fight with you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If directed at me, I am very relaxed, but thanks.

Reply to
Lab Lover

WTF was that TV news anchor saying? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

DD..... do you remember the children's bodies found on the railway in Mena? The cover ups on that one have never stopped!

Jax

Yes, you are still incorrect, the criminal nature of the offense is dependent upon fraud.

Feel free to burn your own money, as long as you do not attempt to defraud any entity or person, you have committed no crime.

You must read the entire statute and not just stop after the first sentence.

Can you find any statute that includes the word "destroy or destruction" pertaining to currency? And is that statute dependant upon any kind of fraud?

Reply to
Lab Lover