Flat washers

Page 2 of 4

So is crushing that penny under the train. I should think about it every time I use a penny for a shot pin washer ... Naaa!

That, I've heard. Destroying currency. Not allowed to melt down the old copper pennies. Not allowed to punch hole in coins. I've heard of folks in middle school using the hole punch in sheet metal class to punch holes in pennies. But that was decades ago, and it's just some thing I heard.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Oren, technically, your assertion is incorrect.
There is no US code against the destruction of currency. If you wish to burn a million dollars to ash, there is no crime. Mutilation, etc of currency is only a crime if there is fraudulent intent, for example it you were to mutilate a $10 bill and attempt to pass it off as anything other than a $10 bill.
The indisputable pivotal word in the code below is "fraud". There is no fraud in putting a coin on a railroad track so a train can flatten it.
However, it is illegal to trespass on railroad tracks and it is most certainly illegal to tamper with rail equipment.
USC title 18, Section 331
Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or
Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened -
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both
NOT just sayin'

Slice and dice your own words as you will. However, there is no doubt you asserted the following: "Destruction of our currency is illegal." You are incorrect, it is not illegal.
You asserted this relative to the discussion of crushing of a penny under a train.
You then went on to tell a completely unrelated and irrelevant story. Yes, counterfeiting is illegal, not much of a news flash now is it?

Oren, nothing you have said above changes the fact you were wrong about the "destruction of money being a crime". The USC was provided as a citation.
If you would like to resurface the issue of children again, start a new thread, I have no problem taking you to task, yet again.

Yes, you are still incorrect, the criminal nature of the offense is dependent upon fraud.
Feel free to burn your own money, as long as you do not attempt to defraud any entity or person, you have committed no crime.
You must read the entire statute and not just stop after the first sentence.
Can you find any statute that includes the word "destroy or destruction" pertaining to currency? And is that statute dependant upon any kind of fraud?

You are still incorrect, there is no crime in shredding money unless you then attempt commit some kind of fraud with the shredded currency.

...snip...
Working as a teller in NYC many years ago, we were taught to count bills by looking at the president's face, not the number in the corner of the bill. Watching the face not only makes it easier to spot a traditional counterfeit bill because the face is harder to get perfect, but it also makes it very easy to spot the poor man's technique to "counterfeit" a bill.
People would cut off the right and left side from 2 different bills, e.g. 2 twenties, and tape them to a bill of a lower denomination. The original bills were still good because both serial numbers were left intact. They would then stick the taped bill into a stack of bills and buy something. If you watch most cashiers, they'll hold their hand over the face and count by the number in the corner.
We used to get big cash deposits from a lot of small stores and every now and then I'd be counting a stack of Jackson's when suddenly Washington would show up. Hard to miss that if you are watching the face, regardless of how fast you can count. The fact that the altered bills made it to my window from a small business proves that their cashiers weren't paying attention to the faces.

Just curious...not arguing.
How does your assertion that "there is no US code against the destruction of currency" stand up against Title 18 Section 333, which doesn't include the word "fraudulent"?
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/historicallegislation.html
"Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. The United States Secret Service web address is www.secretservice.gov."

Yeah, noticed that. I was being patient.
Still not sure if the word "intent" makes a difference. Perhaps it would be legal to ”burn a million dollars to ash" since, while the action may indeed make the currency unfit to be reissued, perhaps that wasn't the burner's "intent". Maybe he just intended to heat his home and in the meantime just happened to make the currency unfit.
On 2/15/2014 12:39 PM, Lab Lover wrote:

When I was a kid, if a railroad cop caught you putting anything on a train track, your parents were called and you got a butt whupping. Today, a 9 year old would be turned over to the FBI charged with terrorism and paraded in chains for the TV cameras. What's happened to my country? o_O
TDD
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 04:24:06 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You are such a little drama queen Dufas. If a 9 year old were caught putting a coin on a railroad track, at worst, he would be detained, the parents would be contacted, they would be warned about the dangers and educated that what the child was doing is criminal trespass.
Yes, if the child were caught placing 5lbs. of RDX on the tracks with an improvised cellular detonator, he would probably be arrested.

How about these kids? (It's long, but it appears to just repeat so you don't have to watch the whole thing)
Minor Childrens Performed Stunt on Railway Track Mumbai Local Train...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_uVsMg_4Cc
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:13:58 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

What about them?

...snip...

Relax. Not everyone is picking a fight with you.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:22:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

If directed at me, I am very relaxed, but thanks.
On 2/16/2014 8:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

WTF was that TV news anchor saying? ^_^
TDD

DD..... do you remember the children's bodies found on the railway in Mena? The cover ups on that one have never stopped!
http://www.idfiles.com/
--
Jax :)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:13:58 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Knew a kid got caught on a trestle with the train coming did the same thing - just lay down between the tracks and held on..
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:28:28 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

And most likely a Federal offense...good going!