Flat washers

Page 1 of 4
Just used a bunch of flat washers on a job, yesterday. Reminds me how the simple things in life are so important.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

to drill a hole in a nickle, dime, or quarter to get the right size - - - -

I worked at a factory one time, I heard of but wasn't involved in the action. The challenge was for the day shift to adhere a quarter on the cement floor near the time clock, and the night shift was challenged to remove it before day shift came back. They used various adhesives and what not, I thought it was a bit comical.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Snip
On 2/14/2014 3:59 PM, WW wrote:
> Us kids in the 30's we would heat a penny real > hot and set it on the sidewalk as someone was > coming by. We were a ornery bunch WW .
Did you ever put a penny on the rail road tracks, and come back to find it rolled flat? I've done that. Wonder if it works with the new zinc pennies?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

In Chicago us kids would use street cars. They ran more often.
Were those silver WWII pennies zinc too? Can't recall. Can't recall if we tried the street car on those either.

I thought the '43 - '45 pennies were made of steel? I have a few of them laying around.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure you are correct.

They were only made in 1943. They were zinc coated steel.
From 1944 to 1946 they were made out of salvaged brass shell cases with some copper added.
If you have any steel pennies made other than the ones out of the three ments stamped other than 1943 they are worth much money as they would have been made by mistake. I think a very few copper 1943 pennies escaped the mint and are worth a lot. I think there are only about 12 that are known.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 13:15:37 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

When we were kids the elusive and legendary 6 copper 1943 pennies were our holy grail! To this day I still check the date on all old wheat pennies! :-)
I did not know about the '44 - '46 pennies being made from discarded brass shell casings! Who would have though a penny could be WWII memorabilia!
On 2/15/2014 12:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

home one day to find that Nana had taken them to buy bread. My mother couldn't leave my things alone when I was out of sight either so I guess it was hereditary. To this day, I lock valuable items up somewhere away from human females when I'm going to be gone so nothing vanishes behind my back. I've been known to set harmless booby traps such as fire horns connected to a magnetic switch in a drawer. ^_^
TDD

Wow, those indian head cents must have been worth more than face value. What a shame.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

peice, and a 4 inch copper smudge out of a penny if you could find any remains of it at all.

time it may have stuck to the wheel because I never found it

Another trick with railroad tracks...
My son tells me that if you take a metal pole and lay it across the tracks close to a railroad crossing, the gates will come down. I've never witnessed it, but he said he did it a couple times when he was a teenager hanging out with some friends that live way out in the country.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:28:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I am not absolutely positive, but in the USA, I believe such would be a federal offense.
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:39:44 PM UTC-6, Lab Lover wrote:

Sorry!

the gates are operated by low voltage DC in the tracks. If the tracks are connected (pole, wire, auto jumper cables, etc.) the gates go down.
Unsure about federal offense. Most likely, every other fun thing is.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/15/2014 5:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

by the police are called. O_o
TDD