Flat Roof: Sand Coating?

I live in an old farm house that has one section of fairly flat roof, it only falls one foot for twelve feet of run. About every third year I have to haul a 5-gallon bucket of roof sealant up there and recoat the area. I had a roofer look at it and he said it's too shallow a pitch for roll roofing, sealant is the best way to go..

My question is whether sprinkling a layer of sand on the newly spread roof sealant would give me another year or so of use out of it. I thought the sand might dissipate some of the force of the rain and reflect some of the sunlight. Or I could use gravel, if that would be better. Or spread roof aluminizer on it after it dries. Any opinions on this?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

epdm rubber

Reply to
Bob

New hot roofs get gravel to extend their life. Not knowing the present condition of yours, it is not possible to say how much help it will be. Won't hurt though. When you replace it, get a rubber roof.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I put down a "rubber" roof a few years back. The installer made a few mistakes and now the seams are coming apart. What a mess. Now I have to replace the whole roof and ceiling drywall in two rooms below. Of course the guy that did it has left town. Be careful who you get to do it. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I did my own. real easy. any moron should be able to do it.

Reply to
Bob

Okasy, so a moron can do it. What if you are NOT a moron? Then what?

Reply to
salty

you got me!

Reply to
Bob

Paul its the sun and wind that does the damage. This time as you redo the roof stick pea shingle to the roof as you go and the add another two inches of pea shingle right across the roof. This will stop the ultraviolet rays from killing the roof and make it last a lot longer, perhaps as much as 15 years. The stones will also help to stop the wind from lifting the roof as the suction moves over. Note: The birds seem to like picking up the stones and dropping them off the roof so make sure the stones along the edge are well stuck down. Perry

Reply to
PerryOne