Flat paint over semi-gloss?

I painted most of the house with almost flat off-white paint (Just a trace of sheen).
Then I painted the kitchen in off-white semigloss. We are disappointed with the high sheen of the semigloss paint in the kitchen. Looks like an operating theater.
So, back to the flat paint for the kitchen. Can I paint with the flat off-white paint over the semigloss off-white? Will it stick?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

just roughen up slightly- once over with very fine sandpaper

semi gloss is much easier to get clean, flat finish in kitchen will get and remain dirty indefinetely............
Walter R. wrote:

Egg-shell is a better compromise. It is easy to clean and much less glossy than th "gloss" finishes.

If its new and latex yes, but it will dull over time, Sherwin Williams has 4-5 sheen levels avalaible. Flat wont wash at all.

I am a function over appearance, and use all semi gloss here.
it always cleans up easy, we have dogs, and lasts longer.
our paint is 11 years old, and although its time to do it again by large it still looks good

That used to be true, but there are a number of manufacturers who produce scrubbable latex flat paint. I'd probably go with an eggshell finish in a kitchen for a number of reasons anyway.

Grease in a kitchen on flat will absorbe-stain more, Higher gloss is easier to maintain over the years.
scrubbable flat is a waste of time..........

I'm not arguing that point, but people said you can't wash flat paint at all which is not so. The flat paint will be harder to clean for sure, and that's one of the reasons why I said I would go with an eggshell finish.

First comment is it sounds boring. Some color is a nice thing.

with
Again add some color. Leave the white on the ceiling and do a semi gloss pastel color or colors in the kitchen. Gloss paint in a kitchen or bath is expected and desirable for function.

If you insist on over coating the semi-gloss with flat, they sell a product at the paint store you can wipe on and it will kill the gloss and give a little more tooth for the paint to stick to. An other option is to overcoat with a coat of primer.
If you go to the paint store, (Not the big box) they give out very good advice and have a better quality product.
--

Roger Shoaf

all white is neutral, great for resale or rental units. the room reflects the color of the contents. its nice brite, and common in parts of the country like florida and arizonia. many new homes are all white, and no nasty line to try to make look good between cieling and walls.
if you aggresively scrub flat it changes the luster appearance in that area.... with semi gloss you just wipe it off
all white is neutral, great for resale or rental units. the room reflects the color of the contents. its nice brite, and common in parts of the country like florida and arizonia. many new homes are all white, and no nasty line to try to make look good between ceiling and walls.
I would hardly judge asthetics based on modern home design or rental units. the modern stuff seems to be a vast sea of earth tones, and conformity. Rental units are drab by design.