Flashlight Test

Page 2 of 2
illiterate
PLONK !

Subject: Re: Flashlight Test Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => effi <= wrote:>illiterate men make joy jelly in my mouth for pleasure
Quit emiling me. I'll call the cops, you sick fuck.
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Can't wait for your write-up of Walgreen Deluxe Fingernail Clippers.
Stormin,
Thanks for the review. It was a bit off topic in a home repair group, but I'd certain rather read a review about a Harbor Freight bargain than to read the 9,000th admonition from some HVAC guy telling us we are all too stupid to fix our own furnaces and AC units.
What I really don't understand is why people bother to read a thread titled "Flashlight Test" if they don't want to read about a flashlight test and they are going to whine and moan after reading it.
Regarding Harbor Freight (and Homier Tools and Cummins Tools, etc.) - there is certainly some junk, but there are a lot of great bargain tools. Especially the tools which we amateurs use somewhat infrequently. I've spent a lot of money with these bargain tool companies and my satisfaction level has been at least 95%. And when I'm not satisfied with a purchase, they always give me a refund.
I'll going to a Harbor Freight retail store today and I'll check out the flashlights if they have them. Of course, I do agree that LED lights are the preferred tool.
Gideon
===============================
Just got my box from Harbor Freight ( www.harborfreight.com ) and it contained my 2 AA cell miniature flash light. Catalog number 3852-8JMA, costing $1.99 for the flash light. Incidentally, there was shipping costs on the order.
And here is what I found....
The light is 6 3/4 inches over all. Slightly longer than a mini mag which is 5 3/4. This is a concern. A mini mag fits nicely in my bathrobe pocket. And also in my front pants pocket. The inch longer light would not fit in either of these pockets.
The batteries supplied were the cheapie carbon cells. Panasonic. Good brand, though.
The brand of light is "Gordon" which I've not heard of that brand. There is a sticker which instructs me to always wear safety glasses. It further instructs me not to remove the sticker. Wonder if the same folks that arrested me for removing my tag from my matress would get me if I removed this sticker? I don't want to find out, the Department of Matress Tags guys sure play rough.
The on off switch is a push button on the side. The light turns on when I lift my thumb off the button, so it does not have "instant on" or momentary contact.
The lens is adjustable, spot to flood. The lens is round, so it doesn't have the 8 sided "won't roll off the table" design.
The bulb appears to be the same bi-pin bulb which is used by Mini-Mag. I didn't see if they are interchangable, but very likely are.
The tail cap did contain a spare bulb. I pounded and whacked the tail cap, and could not get the bulb out. I needed a mini pair of needle nose pliers to get the bulb out. I did not try my Leatherman pliers -- they might be too big.
They did provide a nylon belt case for the light. The belt case appears to be the same design as the Mini Mag case, it seems a bit short for the Gordon light. Makes me wonder if the light would fall out easily. I've got enough stuff on my belt already, didn't try it.
The filament bulb should be EMP safe, if you are concerned about having a light after a nuclear explosion.
I'm going to put a couple of these lights in my glove compartments, tool boxes, etc.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes - I have noticed that you are a heating guy and I've notice that you come out here to be helpful rather than smug.
It is appreciated.
I'm a computer guy. People corner me at parties and other get- togethers and pump me for free advice. Others phone me in the middle of my work day and I talk them through a problem over the phone for free. I seldom resent it and I take pleasure in helping somebody solve a problem himself. I'm still going to make a living even if some segment of society can fix their own computer problems or write their own computer code. I'm just not that insecure in my skills or my career.
I still haven't figured out why HVAC folks seem to be so particularly touchy and caustic. My auto mechanic doesn't resent the fact that I do 90% of my car repairs myself. He appreciates the fact that he's still getting 10% of my work plus the many referrals that I send his way.
Gideon posted for all of us....

He gives one that "impression" but he is a hack! He won't learn, he gives out dangerous advice and shows NO signs of improvement in spite of coddling by more knowledgeable people who have given up in frustration.
He also claims to be a locksmith but busts door jambs and takes money off drunks - by his OWN admission!

Not by anyone that has the least bit of common sense, knowledge of topics in which he "claims" to know about or cares about their family's safety.

Big deal; you smoke a power supply and people won't die.

Most of the HVAC people will give an answer here if the question hasn't been asked 5 bizallion times before, nobody does any research anymore...
Your auto mechanic can see what your abilities are, can't see HVAC over the net. Would you tell some person who you have no idea of their abilities how to diagnose and repair a complex brake repair over the net?
--
Tekkie

Tekkie,
I apologize if Stormin is a hack and I missed it. When it comes to HVAC, I really have one major list in my mind - jerks vs nonjerks. I've got a non-trivial knowledge of HVAC, I have family members in the trade (some good, some so-so), and I have some amateur friends who are extremely knowledgable. So I'm not really looking for HVAC advice, I'm mostly noticing the jerks. Stormin isn't a jerk. That was my point. I'll have to pay more attention and decide on my own about the value of his advice.
Gideon
thank you.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Fine, that's what you think, you smug asshole. I don't give out deadly, ignorant advice and admit I screw people on the Internet.
--
Tekkie

Good computer guys are hard to find. It is a pleasure to make your aquaintance.
Ah, well. Sometimes I turn away work, and somtimes it finds me anyhow.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus