Flashlight temptation

Page 5 of 16
Didn't really expect to light up the board this much. This thread is likely to be on Bad Golferman's list, next month.
Maybe I ought buy one of the lights, since there is this much interest.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

+1
burfordTjustice posted for all of us...

How many Harbor Freight coupons does that take?
--
Tekkie

On 05/01/2016 10:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not to ask too stupid a question, but did your ever get your flashlight and who did it work?
On 5/3/2016 8:09 PM, T wrote:

You know, I was in a Dollar General today, and didn't buy one. I'd been giving it some thought. The Spirit of the Lord says it's personal choice if I buy one. Neither encouraged, nor prohibited.
I'm thinking maybe tomorrow. I've got some repairs needed on the work van, and that means more money to spend. So, I'm not really eager to spend money on a research item. Yes, it's only three bucks.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you actually could communicate with "The Spirit" he would tell you about your serious addiction problem (and your posting difficulties)!
Curiosity got the better of me and when I was at Dollar General yesterday getting some cheap glucosamine for my knees... I took the giant leap and got the flashlight. I'm still trying to figure out why a big double D size flashlight with only one D cell? Maybe because it's an election year and anything can happen. Of course I took it apart and there is what looks like a simple transistor/resister circuit. The voltage at the bulb was about 1 volt with the light in the circuit. The battery measured... well it's a D cell so it's 1.5 volt. I suppose the transistor is actually some kind of voltage regulating thing. The thing will probably be "repurposed" for a bike light...maybe... or it will fall off the shelf and roll under the bed.. to be discovered someday and taken to that "what the hell is this thing and what's it worth" show on PBS. Further independent study for those wanting extra credit... http://www.edn.com/design/led/4416540/MCUs-in-E-Bikes--driving-lights--LED-LCD-display-and-measurements
On 05/04/2016 07:21 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

Would you like my bone stock recipe?
On 5/4/2016 10:21 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

I had a weak moment, today. Went and bought one. The one battery worked, the light shines a very blue, poorly focussed spot on the ceiling. It's about twilight, so it's a pretty fair test of light output. I plan to do some testing after dark. Also check amp draw, battery life, and a few things like that.
So far, with the initial moment or two of testing, it appears to be a reasonable value.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/4/2016 7:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Package says it's an Open Trails brand one LED light with 1 D battery. Made in China (why would that surprise anyone?) Distributed by Dolgencorp. Product Code EP-251.
The bulb is more like a Cree emitter than LED. Square base, not the round top bulb like the HF free lights.
The light is slightly brighter than a Harbor Freight free 9 LED light. The light is a little whiter than the HF light. It sure would be nice if the beam was whiter. But, it is still useful.
I tried the light in totally dark rooms. Sure is better than being in the dark. I also tried the light down the hall of my trailer. It is plenty bright enough to see if there was a burglar.
The closed end of the light has a swing out loop, for hanging. Sure enough, the light hangs nicely by the loop. Hanging on a nail, it would be good resource for power cuts.
One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and do a life test on the provided battery. And what ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see how far the beam reaches.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/4/2016 8:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Left the light on, last night. On purpose. 12 hours later, the light is plenty bright. Original carbon zinc battery, in use.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You left a torch on all night without using a rechargeable battery?
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/5/2016 10:07 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes, that is correct. The battery in question is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents. It will self discharge in about a year, and then I can put it in the trash without getting any use out of it.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a conversion?
--
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

On 5/5/2016 11:28 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Please read some of my other posts, under similar subject lines. I've explained all this. And I thought clearly so.
D cells have been around for at least 60 years. I have a flashlight "torch" that belonged to my great grand father, takes two D cells.

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single post?

And lasts 12 hours?
--
An elderly British gentleman of 83 arrived in Paris by plane. At the French
customs desk he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on
On 5/5/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The light was made in China. Sold by Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US dollars, and came with one carbon zinc battery.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries. They really are shit, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.
--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.

On 5/5/2016 3:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather than a LED. Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around the flat negative end.
When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented), my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very long, either.
I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell, for testing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

10 years ago I was looking at chargers for zinc carbon/chloride and alkaline. They only charged them 10 times and the charged cycles were much lower capacity than the original. I think all the charger does is do it slowly.
--
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that christmas decorations were chocolate.