flashing for masonry + roof tile

Have seen this flashing , but don't know name or needed size, so it's kind of hard to buy or research on the net . Where used: 1 story gable end of roof connects to 2 story wall. (head wall?) IIRC, the flashing sort of looks like a upper case L, including the little turn-up lip at the bottom. I think it's some kind of pan flashing, but there's a specific name for this critter. I know one usually uses counterflashing with it. Wall will be rock veneer; roof will be concrete tile. I believe it's put on before the rock is laid and the counter flashing is inserted later in the mortar between courses or a cut line in the stone.

I'm assuming I need to flash these too, but don't know what's needed: (1) joists coming out of rock wall 16" o.c. Looks like an arbor now, but eventually plan to floor it for a deck. (2) existing covered (that is, roofed) floored deck where there's space for the rock veneer between the wall sheathing & the inside deck flooring plank. Flooring is not solid - has gaps between planks.

Thanks, Diane

Reply to
dianedebuda

Perhaps you are talking about thruwall flashing. Thruwall does not require counterflashing. Turnback flashing would require counterflashing, but is not the recommended product for masonry/roof flashing. If it is for a concrete tile, you may need a custom bent flashing for this (at least I would). Concrete tile requires wider than normal flashing at points such as this.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Robert, Think it is turnback flashing that I'm thinking about for the 1 story to 2 story connection. I've done the simple 2 story tile roof part myself (remember talking to me about Ice & Water Shield a couple of years ago?) , but this flashing has me a bit puzzled 'cause it doesn't look like I can just go to ARS or ABC and buy it - all I'm hearing is that it's custom made & has to be soldered too. I can solder electronics, but that's the limit of my experience there . I'm trying to get a couple of Austin roofers out to do the flashing, but neither has shown up yet. Masons only have a couple more days worth of work that can be done before flashing has to be there, so I'm looking for alternatives in case I have to attempt this myself.

Is the thruwall flashing you're talking about metal? A quick google listed a number of self-adhering membranes... Any possibility of talking to you directly? I googled for Rimshot, Inc. in Georgetown without success.

Diane

Reply to
dianedebuda

I only do work by referral, no advertising.

Thruwall flashing is metal and I have it made up for each particular situation. It is usually just like turnback, but with a vertical part in the middle, then an extension to go under the masonry and to the wall. The masonry sits on the flashing. It looks something like this:

If you need to get thruwall flashing, I would call Capitol Company and tell them what you want. They can have it ready in a day or so. Typically, the part that is closest to the wall is 5" wide with 6" extending up the wall. The part that is exposed and goes under the cement roof tiles will be at least 8" wide. Their number is: 836-8985.

If you want to know more details about it, I would be glad to talk to you. Email me and I will send you my number.

Reply to
Robert Allison