flashing around spalling bricks

Hi - Flashing around the chimney became unattached due to spalling bricks and water leaked into the attic. If those bricks aren't fixed & the flashing is again 'sealed' to that same brick, how does it remain sealed with the possibility of the brick continuing to fall apart?
Thanks for your help!
I've a friend with the same problem...You have two choices - patch the bricks over with mortal and butt the flashing up against the mortar layer, or replace the dang chimney.
My friend has one messed up/spalling chimney that has been mortared over years ago and it's fine. Other one got replaced and it's fine too.
Might depend on how long you intend to stay in the house and what your cashflow is. SHort stay, low cash = mortar over it.