Flapper Woes--help

Hello:

Hope someone can help. I needed to replace a flapper on a three year old AM. STRD. Toilet because the original was not sealing causing phantom flushes. Needless to say, I figured it would be a snap job!! Wrong!!

I am on my 4th new flapper install. All were universal types bought at your usual Do-it-yourself stores (e.g.: home despot).

Thing is---they all seal properly---my problem is---the damn things don't always drop after flushing! I have tried both the snap down type (snaps over the standpipe ears) and the type with rubber holes that fit over the ears.

Same result---a 50 to 80% drop rate. Sometimes it just sticks up---sometimes the rubber binds causing it to stay up or to fall and not seat. I have tried all types of chain lengths and slacks. I still get the problem.

My question obviously is what am I doing wrong?

The chain is at a slight angle to the center of the flaooer---as it was on the original. I have a side angle flush handle---seems to work ok---tight enough!

Should I just replace the whole flush mechanism---seems to be overkill-but-hey---this is a "simple" task that is driving me nuts and wasting a lot of water!

Any help appreciated! (am trying my 5th flapper as I speak!)

PEACE!!!

Reply to
rocky47

Buy an American Standard flapper instead of the universal type.

Reply to
Art

Leave more slack in the chain.

Reply to
CJT

I had a chain that was hanging on itself - one link hanging on another.. same symptoms... I just replaced the chain with a length of nylon line (fishing line will do)... no more hangups.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I have the same problem and after I replace with the fluidmaster's "Rigid Toilet Tank Flapper" in blue and white color. It solve all the problem. The arms of the other universal flapper were too close to the pipe causing it to stuck, preventing it to drop. You can also put a piece of wire to stretch the are open a little bit so it will not embrace the pipe too tight, that wil help too. Good luck.

Reply to
pkmicro