Flaking Bathroom Ceiling: How To Handle ?

Hello:
The ceiling in our bathroom (probably just the typical, painted drywall) and on our shower stall ceiling which is not tiled have begun to flake badly.
We do have an exhaust fan in the bathroom, but obviously it's not doing an adequate job.
Any suggestions on how to handle this would be most appreciated.
Should we just scrape and re-paint ? Re-plaster the surface and then re-paint ? With what ? Brand ?
Any "special" surface coatings or treatments first ? Or,... ?
Much thanks; appreciate it, Bob
Remove everything down to the drywall. Then prime with enough coats of oil based primer until you can't see thtough it. Then paint with oil based paints. Emphasis on oil based. Don't take showers (take baths) in that bathroom until everything has had time to cure.

BTDT. Scrape down to sound surface. Prime with oil based or 100% acrylic primer/sealer. Spackle as needed. Spot prime spackled areas. Top coat with Zinsser or equivalent bath and kitchen paint in the color and finish of choice. This method has never failed me.