Flagpole light

I am searching for a solar light to place on top of a 20-ft. flagpole. Found several that are low voltage requiring a buried wire, which is impractical in my application. Anyone know of a light designed specifically for this application?

Reply to
Slim Pickings

google of solar+flagpole+light produced this among others:

lee houston

oops. here are the others:

lee houston

flagpole.

Thank you for help. I like the Patriot Light- Solar LED Flagpole Light. Price is reasonable and the mounting simple but out of stock for now. Several sites claim solar but do not have any and some are neat but $250 is a bit pricey. I really like that rotating version. With all you gave me it will take some time to search through it all.

Reply to
Slim Pickings

Thanks for the links. I have mine lit up with a 50 watt flood pointed straight up the pole. Bulb burns out during heavy rain as it runs down into the socket. I will be checking those sources.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

$4 worth of lucite would solve that problem...

Reply to
Goedjn

Use the big one in the sky. Detail someone to take down the flag at night or in the rain. :) I know that a floodlight on a flag makes it polite to fly it all night, and I don't mean to sound preachy, but there are so many pathetic, faded, sodden flags out there.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Yep, flags need to be changed. I keep at least one in reserve at all times.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

DON'T ATTEMPT TO LOWER FLAG DURING RAIN.

Protocol has changed in this regard. Too many people died.

Respect for the flag is not a suicide pact.

Reply to
HeyBub

HB:

Well, gee, dude, I'm not saying you should do it during a lightning storm.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

flagpole.

You do not sound preachy, I agree with you 100%. Tattered flags are disrespectful. I take the flag down at night unless illuminated and keep it out of the rain if possible. My local dry cleaner cleans American flags free. I always have an additional new flag on hand and replace them regularly. Also, I dispose of the old flags through The American Legion. Personally, my wife and I think our flag looks great illuminated against the night sky as it flutters in a soft breeze.

Reply to
Slim Pickings

Neither am I. Large, wet flags can wrap around your body and, due to hydrostatic pressure, squeeze with more pressure than a python, killing you. In addition, the dyes used on the flag (principally the blues) contain water-soluble compounds of Cyanide that are extremely toxic and can cause almost instant death. Further, when the flag comes down, something must be going up. There are many cases of people being hanged on flag-pole ropes while not be attentive to the hazards involved.

You can also be stabbed to death by improper use of an umbrella.

Too, there may be permitting issues involved. Lighted flags have additional orders of magnitude problems. Also flagpoles that are part of a sprinkler system. Or those covered in Formica.

No, just too risky for your average DIYer. Best to call in a pro. After the rain.

Reply to
HeyBub