Flagpole

The rope broke on our 30 ft flagpole today. Is there a safe, inexpensive way to get the new rope through the pulley, short of renting a man lift?
The pole is one piece hollow aluminum, about 6" in diameter at the bottom, tapering down to maybe 3" diameter at the top. It's set 3 to 4 ft deep in 400 lbs of cement. Is it safe for a brave volunteer to shimmy up the pole? I told him "NO" so far.
Thanks for any advice. Dave
JustDave wrote:

You may need to rent a thirty foot A frame ladder. If your community is served by a volunteer fire department they may be willing to help you out. It is worth asking even a career fire department but many have policies forbidding their staff from engaging in such service work in order to reduce the cost of injury claims. Any sign contractor will replace it for a fee but one hour of bucket truck service can be pretty steep. If you know were the eat em up is for local trade people you could offer a bucket truck crew some money to swing by... -- Tom H
wrote in message

Great idea! We're right next door to the local fire dept and on good terms. Thanks!
Two foot ropes with prusic knots around the pole might help...
Nick
JustDave wrote:

Get an extension ladder. Put the bottom of the ladder next to the pole. Get ten 4' pieces of rope and tie the ladder to the pole as you go up (use a safety harness).
All of the weight of the ladder and the climber will be directed straight down and virtually none against the pole.
JustDave wrote:

He can't possibly be <on> center...

My climber thinks he can make it up there - my concern is whether the pole can handle the weight without uprooting. That pole will be a long lever if he ever gets a little off center... Dave
JustDave wrote:

Tell him to attach 4 ropes at the 2/3 height and then have 4 guys hold the pole while he is above the rope attachment.
Usually a flagpole is either set in a sleeve, or has a pivot, for reasons that have now become obvious!
The ladder / fire dept. suggestions sound good. If you must shimmy, if you have room you could park a car or garden tractor on the cement pad for further stability.