Flag holder came off

We've been flying a U.S. flag almost every day for the last two years. A couple of days ago, after some vicious winds, the flag mount pulled loose and fell to the ground.

The flag holder was mounted on our brick garage with 1/4" plastic anchors in holes drilled in the mortar. The screws are still tight but the anchors appear to have pulled cleanly out of the holes.

Would metal anchors be better than the plastic ones?

Can I drill holes in the brick with a masonry bit, and would that be any better than holes in the mortar?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions will be welcome.

-Len

Reply to
LenS

Mortar is better. Metal anchors may be better, but plastic should work. I suggest using the same holes to remount the flag.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Drilling the brick rather than the mortar is not, in my opinion and experience, a good idea. I Would try bigger anchor shields and, perhaps longer screws. Be careful not to damage the building paper on the back side of the cavity.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

look into tap con screws, no anchors used ,they usualy hold better

Reply to
mark Ransley

Plastic anchors that are made for concrete should work fine. Masonry anchors are the same diameter all they way down, not cone shaped like a regular plastic anchor. They are several sizes based on screw size. I would think you need at least 1.5" number 8's thread all the way (to have a continuous grip). Hex head work well.

Reply to
Colbyt