Fl murderer convicted in loud music

He will be retried for murder due to hung jury and faces 60+ years with current convictions. Not ideal but it's not over.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

Why would they ever retry him on a charge that will always hang a jury? This guy is 46 and the 60 years is easily "life".

Reply to
gfretwell

with current convictions. Not ideal but it's not over.

Should have been charged with voluntary manslaughter.

Reply to
Guv Bob

If the sentence is set to run concurrently then he would be given 20 years... out in 13.

Reply to
83LowRider

Killer Loon, how did the court case affect you personally? Are you an obnoxious DAN who plays loud salaciousness music in public and fear you may be shot by someone who asks you to turn it down? I know you're a useful idiot for the elite P.L.L.C.F. who wish to disarm the American people and you have no clue as to what will happen if those you support seize power and turn the United States into a dictatorship. I do feel sorry for you and those of your ilk who have no comprehension of what will become of America if your puppet handlers get their way. It would be funny to see you sitting in your sparsely furnished government owned apartment that's identical to what all citizens are housed in because everyone is equal and there are no more evil rich people with big lavish homes. That is, except for the elite you so vociferously support and you will be an old man sitting there in your drab government issue apartment munching on government issue Soylent that is supplied to all of the "Equal" citizens and the one thing going through your addled little brain over and over again will be "WTF!" Be careful what you wish for Killer Loon, your wish may come true. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What is the story about the guy he shot having a shotgun in the car? TV said that the shooter maintains that was the case, but I did not hear if that was ever introduced as evidence. Not making excuses for the guy, just looking for the facts.

Reply to
Ken

Justice is a hard subject for many to comprehend. Maybe he will roll over a flea bargain.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

No weapon was ever found. It was a typical red neck gun hugger lie they use to shoot first, drive away, and ask later.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

The judge will throw the book at him because of the lies told. He never manned up an accepted any responsibilty. He drove home and ordered pizza.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

I would agree that they should at least wait to see the actual sentence handed down. But he's most likely not going to get 60 years. The minimum is 20 years on each count and the judge could probably have them served concurrently. So, he might just be facing 20 years. Then you typically have time off for good behavior, parole, etc. He might be out in 15 if he's lucky.

I didn't follow this much, but from what I see, the defendant appeared quick to open fire and to continue to fire, when there appeared to have been other options. That's why it was easy for the jury to convict him on the attempted murder charge for continuing to fire as they drove away. One part in his story that makes no sense to me is that he claims that while they were all still in their cars, as the confrontation escalated, he thought he saw a guy in the back point a shotgun out the car. So, he says he reached over to the glove compartment, got his gun and when the passenger started to get out he started firing. But he started shooting at the guy in the passenger seat, and that's the guy he killed. THAT makes no sense, does it? If you think the guy in the back seat has a shotgun, why in the world would you open fire on the guy in the passenger seat? If his buddy has a shotgun, he's in a perfect spot to blow you away.

Also his behavior afterward, ie fleeing rather than sticking around suggests it wasn't a case of justified self defense. But in cases like this, unless you hear all the testimony that the jury did, see all the evidence, it's hard to sort the whole thing out. It is another sad case of how bad behavior on both sides can turn into something really bad happening. There appears to be no dispute that the black kids in the car were playing obnoxiously loud music and they started the verbal assault when he politely asked them to turn it down. That's one of the risks you run when you want to behave like that, you may run into someone equally willing to escalate and then really bad things can happen.

Reply to
trader4

And if the shooter had been black and gotten into a similar confrontation over music, someone wearing the wrong color jacket, looking at someone the wrong way, etc, that happens about

1000 times more frequently, and that resulted in a shooting death, what would it be then?
Reply to
trader4

Not in Florida. The gun charge itself is 25 to life and our law says you have to serve 85%. minimum

Reply to
gfretwell

This is the most detailed analysis I've seen of the actual convictions and possible sentences:

of-most-charges/

"Detailed Charges on Which Dunn Found Guilty Among the charges of which he has been found guilty are: Three counts of attempted murder in the second degree (FL §782.051) for s hooting at Kevin Thompson, Leland Brunson, and Tommy Storns, the three frie nds with Jordan Davis in Storns' SUV Throwing a missile into an occupied vehicle (FL §790.19) for firing into the SUV in which the boys were riding. Finally, because these felonies were committed with the use of a firearm, D unn is also subject to Florida's "10-20-Life" mandatory minimum sentencing law (FL §775.087), made infamous by the case of Marissa Alexander. Under the mandatory minimum sentencing scheme, Dunn faces mandatory minimum sentences of 20 years on each of the three counts of attempted murder and

15 years on the charge of throwing of missiles (because a gun was used Flor ida's "10-20-Life" statute bumps what would normally be a 2nd degree felon y to a 1st degree felony) Because all the charges stem from a single set of acts, the sentences would likely be served concurrently, rather than consecutively, meaning in effec t that Dunn would be sentenced to 20 years, the Florida norm. The sentencin g judge has the discretion, however, to make the sentences consecutive, in which case Dunn would be looking at 75 years-effectively a life sentence fo r a ~40 year old. His sentencing may take place immediately, or at a separa te sentencing hearing."

Applying your 85% rule, still seems from the above that it's possible he could be out in 17 years, if he gets lucky.

Reply to
trader4

The news always adds up the maximum sentences and presents it in this way, even though almost no one ever gets the sum of all the sentences.

They do this for everyone, but I'm afraid that those who haven't noticed this feel wronged when the criminal who hurt them or killed somone they cared about gets so much less than what the news suggested they would get. They feel wronged by the criminal and betrayed by the courts.

Another example where the news should be ashamed of itself, and this time, I'm not sure but I I may need to include radio and newspapers. I don't recall if they participate in this or not.

No. Especially if someone is a first offender, or even the first time it's a felony, the judge will have some, maybe all sentences served concurrently, and won't give him the maximum for the most serious conviction.

Reply to
micky

First degree murder, premeditated murder does not require that one sit in his room making plans weeks or days or hours in advance. it doesn't require that someone make a special purchase of a weapon or that he plan to meet someone somewhere. The intention and the premeditation necessary for first degree murder can be formed one second before the act is committed. That's the law in every state, afaik, and certainly in most. And I'm pretty sure there are cases where most people would agree with this rule.

Reply to
micky

The other boy in the front seat did turn down the radio when the guy complained, according to him, but the driver turned it up again.

Was it the driver who was killed? I thought so.

But then, assuming the picture wasnt reversed, it looks like the shooter was standing on the right side of the car shooting through the right door. He shot 10 times!!! Hit the car 9 times!!.

Woudn't one normally attribute the car radio to the driver? OTOH, the shooter said someone insulted him. If so, do you know who that was supposed to be?

Reply to
micky

Per micky:

If it was one of those mobile boom boxes where peoples walls and windows shake when the car drives by, I wonder that the perpetrator didn't plead temporary insanity.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Now that I read here that the boy in the passenger seat was the one who was killed, I guess it was someone else who said he turned the radio down. Maybe it was the driver. The video of him saying that was taken over his left shoulder, and it looked like he was sitting in the passenger seat, but I suppose they all would be out of the car before someone showed up to inteveriew them.

Maybe it was the one on the right he was referring to, who turned it up again.

What do this case, Trayvon Martin, the shooting of the movie texter have in common. All by someone carrying a gun. At least two of them for no special reason.

During this same period there was another teenager accosted and he was hit over the head with a cell phone. If there was a bruise, it was gone in a couple days. Partly because his accoster was carrying only a cell phone, not a gun.

Reply to
micky

I don't object to the thread but you should have prreceded it with OT.

There are two kinds of OT here. This kind that is defitinitely OT and should be marked.

And those involving strange mechanical things, houses built upside down, bicycles 8 feet high. Those are off topic too in that no one is trying to repair anything and the poster usually has nothing to do with the topic, which he just saw online But almost everyone who does home repair is interested in those threads, so maybe -- it's up to you all - they don't need to be marked OT.

But this one should have been.

Reply to
micky

I would have pleaded self defense because hearing damage is permanent. I would claim I was stopping an assault on me. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas