Fixing Squeaking floor in a 4 months old house

Hi, The subject says it all. I have a new house with a second floor squeaking. Although the builder tried to fix the problem twice, every time after a while the problem returns to the where it was. As time goes by, I am discovering more squeaking spots. I have noticed that there is a product at home depot by which I could screw down the squeaking area without pulling up the carpet. I do have questions reagrding to this product:

1- First I need to find studs/joist so I can do the acrewing job. How can I find the studs? 2- I'd rather to pull up the carpet and do a complete job myself (gluing + screwing), and have a peace of mind for a while. So here is queation: Can I pull up the carpet easily and put it back when I am done with fixing the floor? The carpet is not glued to the floor and it has underpad. The carpet goes underneath the wall baseboards. Is there any device that I can pull up the carpet without damaging the baseboards? Is there any trick that I need to be aware of? One squeaking spot is where stair started, and I am not sure if the carpet has been stapled or not. Any advice on this part? 3- What type of screws should I used? Should I screw the board by an angle?

thanks a lot Fardin

Reply to
FardinA

You may need to rip the baseboards off in order to remove the carpet, where I live we normally use wood boards with nails through them to hold the carpet in place. This means that you can stretch the carpet towards the wall but it won't allow the carpet to be "pulled" from under the base board. IS there any chance you can do this from the bottom up?

Reply to
R Doornbosch

I wouldn't touch a thing without having my attorney write the builder a letter. Four mos old? What did you pay?

Reply to
norminn

The floor should have been tongue and groove nailed, screwed and glued down. If it still squeaks it is highly unlikely that you will be able to fix it if you cannot get to the floor joists from below.

every

carpet

Reply to
Art Begun