Fixing rough spot in granite countertop

Our kitchen granite counter top has a small rough spot (about the size of a quarter) that appears to be slightly below the surface layer.
It is also darker (blackish in color).
Is there a DIY repair to be done here? Should one fill it with something and then buff? Alternatively, can one smooth out the scratched depression area and buff it with something like a Dremel?
What do you folks recommend?
It may be a natural defect you cannot fix, but who can see it, get a pro out.
blueman wrote:

One could do either.
Smoothing would require flatness. Once flat, buff with finer and finer compounds.
If I were going to fill, I'd probably try using polyester resin (as for fiber glass). Maybe a casting resin. Either would require flatening which is going to leave scratches in both the filler and surrounding area. Those would have to be worked out with finer & finer grits, then buffed with buffing compounds.
All in all, not a job for the casual DIYer.