Fixing old dryer

My 70's style dryer (avocado green) has just stopped working. The electricity is getting to it since the light on the front is on. The drum doesn't budge. It's like the drum is stuck. The motor sounds like it is trying to move the drum, but is stuck. I took off the front panel and the belt appears tight, like it should be. Any suggestions??
There is a poster here that specializes in appliance work. I hope he responds, I believe this is his site: http://www.applianceaid.com / It should give you some good diagnostic advice.
For anyone else to help, we should probably know what brand dryer you have. Can you take the belt off the motor and have the motor run normally? I think this would indicate the drum being in a bind. Your dryer is probably 220 volt. There is a chance it has blown one side, try resetting the breaker, although your symptom does not sound like this is the problem.

Thanks for trying. Nothing showed up that matches my problem. The internal working are exactly like they describe. Belt is tight, nothing appears wrong.

Newsgroup wrote:

Take the belt off the motor pulley and turn the machine on. If the motor hums a little, give the pulley a flip to help it start (careful to not get anything caught). If the motor starts, try holding the pulley (with gloves on) when the machine is started (be ready to yell stop to the motor controller). If motor starts turning the pulley and has a lot of power, the problem is not in the motor. Non starting or if starting with weak power means that something in the starter circuit is haywire; best to just get a new motor.

Yes, you should have gone with the Harvest Gold. They had many less problems.
The drum is mounted on a set of rollers and they have bearings in them for everything to turn. . Good chance they are not turning and should be replaced. .
Golden harvest?? LOL!
Thanks for the possible fix.

http://fixitnow.com/faq.htm

Seriously:
Throw it away and buy a new one. The money you save from less energy used will pay for it in a couple a years.....

Unlike fridges and ACs, a typical dryer's energy efficiency hasn't improved much in recent years, imo.
Nick
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

No it won't, might pay for it in 15 years. Probably the centrifugal starter in the motor, might be burned connections or might be starter winding.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:33:46 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Or just a lot of dust and dirt?
--
tbl