Fixing My Asphalt Driveway - Can I Do This?

I have the worst-looking driveway I ever saw. I am thinking of trying to make it look a little better by making the edges straighter, and by maybe putting brick or landscaping ties along the edges. Right now the edge looks like the person who laid the asphalt was drunk and simply laid out the asphalt without any 'framing' for the asphalt to rest against.

I am wondering - I should try to cut a little in the really bad places. Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of special blade? If so, what kind of blade? Or should I forget it, or do it another way?

Thanks

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

You could try with a diamond dry blade for cutting masonry, but you're liable to have clogging and control issues.

I would hire a concrete cutter to come and do it for you; they can be pretty reasonable in price if you aren't in a hurry.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

just rent a chipping hammer to cut edge neatly it will go very quickly,then put your edge in then make any small repairs to the asphalt cooled patch

Reply to
gg

For asphalt, I'd just chase/chisel the edge with a cheap axe and a mallet. It'd be a bit more effort than a circular saw, but just as fast.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'd actually prefer your method over a saw. Can you imagine the dust and the stink of trying to cut asphalt? Besides, the finished edge doesn't have to be incredibly straight. By the time you get dirt and lawn clippings wedged in there you won't see any disparity.

Reply to
C & E