Fixing loose linoleum seam

In my bathroom the seam is a little loose in front of the door. It's not coming up, but when I step on it I can feel it's loose. This is a complete gluedown vinyl. The seam is about 3 feet long. I'd likely come loose because of a few water spills over the years. This flooring is about 5 years old, so it should not be real brittle, but I dont want to try and lift it and risk cracking it. This is a well made thick flooring too, not that paper thin junk.

Anyhow, is there a method to inject some adhesive under it? I was thinking something like a syringe?????? I could buy a large livestock syringe, but I know those needles tend to break. Is there something made for this?

Thanks

LM

Reply to
letterman

You might be on the right track. This method has been used when bubble a in the vinyl appears. Inject the adhesive under the bubble an place a weight on top until cured.

Just one sample ... $5.99 {Used for injecting carpet adhesives into bubbles. Can also be used to inject deodorants into carpet pad or upholstery.}

Oren

I would work some adhesive under there with a putty knife, then put heavy weights on it for 24 hours. Finally, I would use one of the seam welding kits for vinyl to melt the two pieces together.

I would do all that, then I would hope for the best. Since the edge has lifted, the dirt and moisture that have worked in there will keep the adhesive from working well. Also, the seam welding kits take a little practice. I don't do it often, so I'm not very good.

Best suggestion: Call the people who put the floor down and tell them you have a warranty claim. If you're lucky, somebody good will fix it for free. If you're not lucky, they'll charge you.

Reply to
SteveBell

I only have myself to argue with.......

Another thought, at a seam, might be Contact Cement??. A small brush (flux type). You have only 3 feet in the seam.

Reply to
Oren

Look in local ad paper for guys advertising they install flooring. Little jobs like that that they can do late in the day on the way home, they often do quite cheaply, especially if they understand you will be paying in cash. I had a guy in to fix several small problems, and it only cost around $80. (He was a 1-man sub to the local big-box, installing floors for them during the day.) The right tools and the experience make a big difference. He will likely pry the edges up with a scary-sharp knife, squirt some of the trade-only sealant in there, and run his heated seamer over it. For DIY, I'd go to a real flooring store for the seam patch kit they sell, and buy a J-roller (which is useful for other household projects and keeping kids amused.) Once the goop is compressed well, wipe the leakage with the solvent in the kit, cover with something non-marking that the glue won't stick to, and stack a couple concrete block on it for a day.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Oren wrote in news:chdgr45grkcfn1l6nm88d709lvfjttvt26@

4ax.com:

I've used a flavor injector - basically it looks just like what's in the link. Can be got at WalMart.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you can pull the seam back you can put a little construction adhesive under with like a putty knife.

If not, cut a slit with a razor. See the linked pics. I actually put a screw under the lino to tighten the underlayment. Knowing where to look and getting on your knees, it is barely visible. From a standing position, it's invisible. Fortunately in my case the lino was dark. If it's white, I suspect the slit may be more visible, especially over time as it gets soiled.

For glue I used Loctite Power Grab. It's thin enough to be injectable and it's latex. Once dry, it's hard as a rock so make sure the filled area is flat before letting sit to dry.

?pic=33er2pv&s=5
?pic=vynxx3&s=5
?pic=j7sqit&s=5

Red Green

Well, then -------------- OK, I got nothing. You'll have to make up your own smart-aleck response. :-)

If you put the stuff down, you've got enough skills to do the repair. You _might_ be able to get some solvents under there to clean out the gunk. The hard part will be getting them back out again. Don't use lacquer thinner; it'll remove the finish on the vinyl. I learned the hard way. :-(

Good luck with the project. Let us know how it turns out.

Reply to
SteveBell

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 349279 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to