Fixing Lock-out Door Knobs

If maintenance was tired of dealing with lockout calls from the tenants then don't install keyed knob/lever sets in the tenant's unit doors... A standard deadbolt and a passage knob can not be locked from the outside without using a key... Don't know hoe many times I have read postings about this situation from people in maintenance and property management yet no one wants to install the proper locks to make sure a lockout can never happen without the tenant being out and misplacing/losing their keys OR someone being inside the unit purposefully locking the door to keep someone out...

_________

BINGO! NC does not allow the sale of locks that don't lock you out. Which is why we purchased locks out of state. Property has been sold so it's not a problem at least for me any longer.

Reply to
NotMe

"low" until it happens. And, that will be at the worst possible time.

.

Only problem with hiding a key in the garage is the slim chance that someone is locked out *and* the GDO or power fails at the same time.

I know...what are the odds?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

I had easy-to-get-out-doorknob-locks in JHS and HS. Really liked them Had a hard time getting used to the other kind, and after 30 years I probably still prefer the first kind, but the new kind does have the advantage of making it less likely to lock myself out.

Reply to
micky

On 8/20/2012 5:38 PM, NotMe wrote: ...

I'd sure like to see the details of that piece of legislation/building code/regulation/whatever it is...methinks there's something else going on rather than for single-dwelling universal mandate.

--

Reply to
dpb

For hiding keys:

Choose the hiding place yourself and be careful who you tell. I suppose you haven't posted your actual hiding place.

DON'T choose a place anyone else has mentioned as a place to hide keys.

DON'T use anything advertised for hiding keys.

Reply to
sam E

Hide your key on your neighbor's house, so person finding the key will try it on the wrong house.

.

For hiding keys:

Choose the hiding place yourself and be careful who you tell. I suppose you haven't posted your actual hiding place.

DON'T choose a place anyone else has mentioned as a place to hide keys.

DON'T use anything advertised for hiding keys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes that is my actual hiding place. I just haven't posted my actual name or address so same result.

Reply to
AaronL

Call me naive, but I'd say that even if I posted my real address and told this NG that the front door is always unlocked, the odds of actually getting robbed would still be pretty small.

The bad guys would need to be reading this NG plus live close enough for the robbery to be worth the effort.

That said, I'm still not posting it. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The problem is not the tenants or the law there is nothing in any building code that I have ever read that requires locking knobs or lever sets installed on apartments...

Only that provisions for locking said doors be provided...

Poor hardware choices and lame blaming it on the law aside, still sounds like the wrong hardware was installed...

Reply to
Evan

DON'T just hide a key, place a key vault outside in a protected location so that only you and people you have given the code to can access and use the keys...

Reply to
Evan

Don't know and at this point don't care. New owner put the politically correct locks on the doors.

Reply to
NotMe

The problem is not the tenants or the law there is nothing in any building code that I have ever read that requires locking knobs or lever sets installed on apartments...

Only that provisions for locking said doors be provided...

Poor hardware choices and lame blaming it on the law aside, still sounds like the wrong hardware was installed...

{{

Like I said I don't know and don't care. The inspection on the property at sale required the new owners to replace the locks with approved version.

Reply to
NotMe

A few weeks ago we rented a vacation house in NC. The owner informed us that the key to the house was in a lock box on the side of the garage. The combination was "the last four digits of the phone number you used when you filled out the rental contract."

Once we were inside the house, there were 2 sets of "daily use" keys for us to carry around. The idea was to keep the original key in the lockbox at all times so that it was always available if we lost the other keys or got locked out.

That same system could be utilized for the spare key to anyone's home. Since the combination can be easily changed, you could give it out as need be and then change it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

Wow, what a smart guy!! Well, I am in the phone book.

Reply to
Han

I can't find that information. I'm not a burglar.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd