Fixing Lock-out Door Knobs

Page 2 of 2
You are so, so right.

Just can not fix stupid can we ?

Only problem with hiding a key in the garage is the slim chance that someone is locked out *and* the GDO or power fails at the same time.
I know...what are the odds?

We use the garage door as the main in/out door to go all the way outside. It would be doubtful that we would go out and then close the garage door unless in the car and the keys for the cars and doors are all on the same ring.
There are 3 doors from the inside of the house to the outside, not counting the basement door that has a manual turn to lock it. The frount door knob will not lock and has another deadblot lock that can only be locked from the outside with a key. There is another side door and a door that goes into the garage that you can lock yourself out just by closing it.
There is always a possibility that anything could hapen, but atleast some steps have been taken to correct the problem.
I LOVE my electronic deadbolt lock its super convenient my only regret? i didnt get one 20 years ago...
I still carry a key on my key ring, that also opens other deadbolt locks, but havent used it more than twice in a year.....
best 99 bucks i ever spent
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:51:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Why not just hide it outside? There are thousands of good places (besides under the doormat :-). I hide mine near a house corner under my landscape rocks in a small waterproof bag. I've only needed it once in 12 years.
On 08/20/2012 04:59 PM, AaronL wrote:

For hiding keys:
Choose the hiding place yourself and be careful who you tell. I suppose you haven't posted your actual hiding place.
DON'T choose a place anyone else has mentioned as a place to hide keys.
DON'T use anything advertised for hiding keys.
Hide your key on your neighbor's house, so person finding the key will try it on the wrong house.
For hiding keys:
Choose the hiding place yourself and be careful who you tell. I suppose you haven't posted your actual hiding place.
DON'T choose a place anyone else has mentioned as a place to hide keys.
DON'T use anything advertised for hiding keys.

Yes that is my actual hiding place. I just haven't posted my actual name or address so same result.

Call me naive, but I'd say that even if I posted my real address and told this NG that the front door is always unlocked, the odds of actually getting robbed would still be pretty small.
The bad guys would need to be reading this NG plus live close enough for the robbery to be worth the effort.
That said, I'm still not posting it. ;-)

Wow, what a smart guy!! Well, I am in the phone book.
--
Best regards
Han
On 08/21/2012 08:34 PM, AaronL wrote:

I can't find that information. I'm not a burglar.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

DON'T just hide a key, place a key vault outside in a protected location so that only you and people you have given the code to can access and use the keys...

A few weeks ago we rented a vacation house in NC. The owner informed us that the key to the house was in a lock box on the side of the garage. The combination was "the last four digits of the phone number you used when you filled out the rental contract."
Once we were inside the house, there were 2 sets of "daily use" keys for us to carry around. The idea was to keep the original key in the lockbox at all times so that it was always available if we lost the other keys or got locked out.
That same system could be utilized for the spare key to anyone's home. Since the combination can be easily changed, you could give it out as need be and then change it.
"low" until it happens. And, that will be at the worst possible time.
Only problem with hiding a key in the garage is the slim chance that someone is locked out *and* the GDO or power fails at the same time.
I know...what are the odds?
"Pavel314" wrote in message
I just had some entry doors installed and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.
Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.
Paul
We also have the Schlage locks plus deadbolt. From what I have read Schlage locks cannot be (bump keyed) to let strangers to get in. Since both door lock AND deadbolt use same key this is what we prefer. You will learn to check before shutting the door. Ww