Fixing Lock-out Door Knobs

Page 1 of 2
I just had some entry doors installed and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.
Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.
Paul
I know of no such way. Replace.
(I'm a self employed locksmith, since 1986. I've worked on a lot of locks.)
On 8/20/2012 9:00 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

Sounds like a dumb design. You might get better results if you mention more such as the manufacturer and anything else you know.
On Monday, August 20, 2012 9:39:08 AM UTC-4, George wrote:

I kept the old hardware, which were non-lock-out style. Since the manual lock/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old inside knobs fit onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them. May need to have them brass plated to match the new door but that should solve the problem.
I've worked on Schlage locks, for twenty or so years. A couple years ago, they changed the design, the new ones, I think are total garbage.
You will find two things: 1) the locking mechanism is part of the outdoor knob assembly 2) The inner knobs from another brand of lock will not be compatible.
Schlage locks. We have a similar design at the office.
I kept the old hardware, which were non-lock-out style. Since the manual lock/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old inside knobs fit onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them. May need to have them brass plated to match the new door but that should solve the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The idea behind always being able to get out of a house is a safety feature. You don't want to fumble for a key if the house is on fire.
Schlage may indeed be pretty shitty nowadays.
I'm really looking for a lock that does have the "no key necessary to leave" feature, but also a keypad or something digital that will allow me to get in without a key. There seem to be a host of those digital (?) locks and I need some advice which ones to use (ideally fitting a normal door, and programmable). Grateful for recommendations ...
--
Best regards
Han

I have this lockset, which seems to have the features you are looking for:
Kwikset SmartCode SmartKey Lifetime Polished Brass Commercial/ Residential Single-Cylinder Motorized Electronic Deadbolt
Lowes (long) link:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=297295-350-909+L03&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3126413&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
The keypad throws the deadbolt only. We have a separate lever set to control the latch. We did not buy a locking latch since I see no point. If they get past the deadbolt, the latch is not going to be any problem at all. Besides, why use a keyless entry for the deadbolt if you need a key for the latch?
Inside, on the back of the deadbolt controller, there's a small lever to lock/unlock the deadbolt, therefore no need for a key.
Throw the deadbolt lever to unlock the deadbolt, push down on the lever for the latch and you are out.
To lock the deadbolt from the outside, you simply push the center "Lock" image.
Having had the lockset for more than 2 years I'm still very satisfied. I'm not worried about the batteries dying while I'm out, since the device gives amble warning that the batteries are getting weak. I think I've changed them twice in the 2 years I've had it, despite what the review on the Lowes site says. In fact, I have not experienced any of the things mentioned in a couple of the reviews.
Besides, the garage door opener is also on key pad plus the wife and I keep a spare key hidden in ours cars for the odd chance that both the entry door digital lock and the GDO fail at the same time.
I'm not worried...

Wrong, the thumb turn on the inside knob is basically just an indicator which fits into the shaft connected to the inner mechanism inside the outer knob assembly...
Swapping it will make no difference, the function of the lock depends on how that inner mechanism is configured, changing the knob will do nothing at all...
Just think at how many more people would be locked out if you actually had real commercial grade locks installed with vandal-resistant trims which are free to rotate but not engaged to the mechanism when locked... Sounds like you made an upgrade from way older stuff to modern Schlage locks or from Kwikset to Schlage and thus were used to the old locks and how they worked... If lockouts are that much of a problem perhaps you should install a stand-alone electronic PIN based lock set so that if people get locked out they can get back in without a key...

are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

I had easy-to-get-out-doorknob-locks in JHS and HS. Really liked them Had a hard time getting used to the other kind, and after 30 years I probably still prefer the first kind, but the new kind does have the advantage of making it less likely to lock myself out.

I just had some entry doors installed and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.
Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.
{{
May be a local ordinance requirement. We had something similar in NC and I bought all our locks in another state. (maintance was tired of having to go let folk back in their apartments at odd hours)

If maintenance was tired of dealing with lockout calls from the tenants then don't install keyed knob/lever sets in the tenant's unit doors... A standard deadbolt and a passage knob can not be locked from the outside without using a key... Don't know hoe many times I have read postings about this situation from people in maintenance and property management yet no one wants to install the proper locks to make sure a lockout can never happen without the tenant being out and misplacing/losing their keys OR someone being inside the unit purposefully locking the door to keep someone out...

If maintenance was tired of dealing with lockout calls from the tenants then don't install keyed knob/lever sets in the tenant's unit doors... A standard deadbolt and a passage knob can not be locked from the outside without using a key... Don't know hoe many times I have read postings about this situation from people in maintenance and property management yet no one wants to install the proper locks to make sure a lockout can never happen without the tenant being out and misplacing/losing their keys OR someone being inside the unit purposefully locking the door to keep someone out...
_________
BINGO! NC does not allow the sale of locks that don't lock you out. Which is why we purchased locks out of state. Property has been sold so it's not a problem at least for me any longer.
On 8/20/2012 5:38 PM, NotMe wrote: ...

I'd sure like to see the details of that piece of legislation/building code/regulation/whatever it is...methinks there's something else going on rather than for single-dwelling universal mandate.

Don't know and at this point don't care. New owner put the politically correct locks on the doors.

The problem is not the tenants or the law there is nothing in any building code that I have ever read that requires locking knobs or lever sets installed on apartments...
Only that provisions for locking said doors be provided...
Poor hardware choices and lame blaming it on the law aside, still sounds like the wrong hardware was installed...

The problem is not the tenants or the law there is nothing in any building code that I have ever read that requires locking knobs or lever sets installed on apartments...
Only that provisions for locking said doors be provided...
Poor hardware choices and lame blaming it on the law aside, still sounds like the wrong hardware was installed...
{{
Like I said I don't know and don't care. The inspection on the property at sale required the new owners to replace the locks with approved version.
Pavel314 wrote:

the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

Can't you just hide a spare key outside?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

That is what I did after my wife locked herself out. I have a garage with a keypad so the key is hidden inside the garage. Normally the garage door is down, so one would need that code plus know where the key is hidden.
Anyone wanting in would probably just break out a window anyway.
A couple friends of mine have Schlage lock-out door knobs. She was scared, one night, brought the spare key in. Husband out of town. Went to get the mail, and the usual happened. A neighbor let her use the phone, she called me to unlock the house.

That is what I did after my wife locked herself out. I have a garage with a keypad so the key is hidden inside the garage. Normally the garage door is down, so one would need that code plus know where the key is hidden.
Anyone wanting in would probably just break out a window anyway.

Just can not fix stupid can we ?