Fixing garage door opener?

We had a power outage yesterday so I had to use the manual disconnect on my Stanley garage door opener. When the power came back, I tried to reconnect it, but the part of the traveler connected to the rope wouldn't snap back into the slot as its done in the past, and as a result the traveler won't connect to the chair. It seems as though some spring is broken or out of place---in fact, I can see a spring in the slot in the traveler. I know this is a vague description, but I'm hoping that someone could suggest a way to fix this. Even better would be fixing it without taking the whole opener down!
Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!!!
Ben wrote:

Get a step stool and a good light to really see what is going on. Your down limit potentiometer may need adjustment as the closer may be going a hair past 'closed door' position making it difficult to snap back the manual disconnect.

I've passed the inner slide through the traveler (which I've also seen called a carriage assembly) several times---it doesn't snap back in as it's supposed to. The problem seems to be that a spring is out of place inside the traveler, preventing the manual disconnect from snapping back up into the little slot where it belongs. The spring is now clearly visible in the small slot, which I don't remember seeing before.

I just run my opener a cycle and it pops back in by itself, thats what I saw my repair guy do to it when he was working in it, my stops that hit the switches are on my chain, I dont know how yours signals the motor unit when and where to stop.

That's what's happened in the past, but not the traveler won't catch on the inner slide.

On my Sears sometimes the thing "latches" open and won't engage the trolley as it passes. I just jiggle the rope and it snaps in.

Update---there is a spring in the traveler that seems to have broken. I pulled the darn thing around and duck taped the traveler into position while I order a replacement. At least the door is working again!