fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle

I want to fix the ball-type faucet in our tub. Since it drips from the tub spout, I anticipate that I'll need to replace the ball (that tightening the adjusting ring probably won't do it).
So I went to begin the job, and I could not remove the handle after loosening the allen screw that holds on the handle. Even after completely removing the allen screw, the handle would not pull off.
Any suggestions?
try jarring or heating it gently, i hate when stuff doesnt come apart
snipped-for-privacy@waltzingcat.com wrote:

The handle is probably corroded tightly on. Heating it is one way to loosen it, but that's probably not practical.
You can remove the big nut and take the whole assy out. The ball is the least likely part to need replacement.
Have a look at Delta's site: http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal If you burrow deep enough there is some good support info if you can identify the model. Buy some parts *before* you take it apart.
Jim
Whatever you do, be careful when trying to loosen the ball assembly. If its hard to loosen, DO NOT force it. You will end up twisting the entire shower body inside the wall and damage it. Thats what I did. Fortunately it did not break or leak, but my faucet is a little crooked now. Make sure when you shut off the water to open the faucet to relieve any pressure. If the ball assembly cannot come off, you might want to use a small hack saw and carefully saw on 2 opposite sides of the ball carefully without hitting the threads of the shower body, then gently pry off the ball. Of course you will have to by a new ball assembly, but its better than replacing the shower body.
might be cheaper to buy the entire valve assembly in advance to have all the parts on hand.
frequently a lot of parts costs more than the entire assembly