Fixing Crack in Poured Concrete Foundation

I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. I searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair. The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything oug. I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice. They suggested I go to HD. The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack, parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name). Nothing was said about a membrane. Any suggestions?

the real question why did it crack to begin with?
poor grade freezing etc?

glue on either side of the crack a piece of glass using construction adhesive, wait a year to see if the crack is moving

I dont understand towards milwaukee......
but in any case its impossible to fix a crack thats actively moving, if the glass breaks you know its in motion.........

Cracks are usually unstable. You can fix it and see what happens. You will not find anyhting that you can use to "hold" the concrete together if it is still moving around. You're better off ignoring it and using a flooring solution that floats. Carpet, wood, or laminate. No tile.

Here's a recent thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_frm/thread/a2a12bc818918073/7ecaa6e7813818be?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=follies#7ecaa6e7813818be
Or http://tinyurl.com/6bbc5dc -----
- gpsman

The glass idea is a good one, unless you've been there 10 years and know the crack has been stable. What is required, eg membrane?, depends on info we don't know. If your basement is dry and there has been no water infiltration from the crack for at least a few years, then I'd say skip it. For obvious reasons. To seal from the outside is going to require excavation down to the footers.

How did we get from foundation to floor - or are we in the habit of tiling basement walls??

Cracks in foundations are not that uncommon actually -- is it right underneath the metal I-beam? It often happens when the builder is in a rush, and doesn't let the concrete set properly. There's several products for repairing cracks, but I've done some research of my own, and basically, you need an injection system to do it right (if you don't want it to come back). Injection kits are not always available at your local hardware stores either -- home depot sells many products for repairing foundation cracks, but none of them were injection kits, and so I steered clear!. You can order some on-line or shop around. I believe I found my kit hidden away on the bottom shelf at a Rona, for about $150. I fixed my crack in two sessions of less than an hour each. After three years, there wasn't a single drip, even after heavy rains. I've since dry-walled over.
John
Ultraglide wrote:

I'd get some old plastic bags like you use to carry home groceries,... and a screw driver and a hammer and stuff that crack full of strips from the grocery bags. Then think about it for a couple of years to see if it still needs a permanent fix. Maybe we will have a new president by the time it needs fixing.