Fixing an Abandoned, but New Mower

Page 2 of 2

re: "I wouldn't put to much money in it...You can get a new one for 200 bucks"
My carb was shot, the front wheels were bald, the blade was dull and the blade mounting assembly was cracked. Close to $150 if I did the work myself.
For another $100 or so, I got a brand new self-propelled mulching Honda with auto-choke and a 2 year warranty. Taking it out of the box was a lot less work than trying to fix the other one. Well worth the extra $100.
Commish wrote:

More than likely a fuel clogging problem, not a spark problem. Is there a prime bulb on the carb? Press it a few times then crank it again. You may need to clean out the gas tank and carb jets.

99.999% of the time it is a clogged up carb. Get the carb cleaned by a professional. If you try it yourself, you'll only wish you took it to a professional later. They will do a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and you're problem will be solved for many years.Probably around $50
Hank <~~~professional small engine mech.
Since it is a self-propelled mower, I vote for the suggestion someone wrote about checking for a kill/safety switch or device.
Maybe you could look up the make and model on the Internet and download an owner's manual/instructions. There may be inforamtion in there about a kill/safety device.