Fixing a Wrong-Color PVC Roof?

The roofer our kitchen remodel contractor used put a white PVC membrane roof on our older dutch colonial's low-slope kitchen bump out, which does not look good from our upstairs windows or from our neighbor's yards. I was pretty torqued, b/c it looks like the roof of a mini-mart and thought I should have been consulted re: choice of roofing material, let alone color.

I've asked the roofer to come up with options for making the roof match the tone and/or texture of the asphalt shingle roof on the house more closely, but the best he's come up with is "paint it", but I'm not convinced the result will look that much less out of place. He's also suggested charging me an additional $800 to put down a black EPDM over the top, but that's not too appealing financially (and I'm not sure about aesthetically).

Anyone have any suggestions for materials or coatings we could fairly cheaply put down over a PVC roof?

Many Thx - BB

Reply to
RMS

I'll start off by saying I'm no expert. But I do know they sell stuff to topcoat those membrane roofs to strech the lifespan, and it comes in colors or can be tinted. (Buddy of mine used to be fixit man at a mall, so I saw the before and after.) You can always mix sand in to get a matte finish. If nothing else, the goop they sell for painting mobile home roofs with would probably work.

I know what you mean about colors looking wrong. They just replaced a 40 year old gravel hot mop roof on my hundred year old office building, with beige and light gray membrane roofs. Looks weird as hell out my office window.

aem sends.....

Reply to
ameijers

I believe painting them is recomended to stop UV damage. Get a manufacturer recomended product.

Reply to
m Ransley