Fix it yourself kinda guy.

I have 3 harber breeze ceiling fan/light units. I had to change the light switch on one as the person using it pulled on the chain too hard and broke the switch. I also had another one that the lights started acting weird and then finally quit working at all. I went to Lowe's, they gave me the number to contact harbor breeze. I didn't have the sn of the unit, however described the item I needed and they said they would sent me one no charge. When I got it, the capacitor was the one for the fan and not for the lights. The one for the lights has a square black box covering it. Inside the box there is an electronic board. .So now I have to get the number off the top of the ceiling fan so they can locate the right part. A capcitor determines how much current goes through to the unit it is designed for. Hope that helps.
a fix it yourself kinda guy wrote:

Hi, Can't you get a copy of wiring diagram? DIY is always a learning process for me. I have 3 ceiling fan/light in the house. 20 years old. Still working A-OK. Only thing I did is replacing bulbs when they burnt out.
On 07/10/2014 12:44 AM, a fix it yourself kinda guy wrote:

Did you get them at harber freight?

Will the real "Oren" please stand up?
On 7/10/14, 12:44 AM, a fix it yourself kinda guy wrote:

http://www.harborbreeze-ceilingfans.com/harbor-breeze-replacement-parts/
Here they tell you to take any broken parts to your local hardware store so they can sell you something that looks similar. Be sure to pay cash so you won't risk working with a charged capacitor.
Have you considered making your own from a roll of aluminum foil and a roll of wax paper?
It could be the 190 watt lighting limiter, mandatory since 2005. Maybe somebody screwed in a bulb that takes it over the limit. If the limiter is bad, it could be bypassed with wire nuts. Maybe a loose wire nut has been the source of the problem all along. I find it best to use a live spring design and not to pretwist the bundle.
a fix it yourself kinda guy posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Don't bother...
--
Tekkie