fix broken PVC pipe

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 10:13:00 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Ralph is right, they could have cut the tail piece (the part that looks broken) too short and it might have slipped out of the compression fitting.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:12:53 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That was easy!
Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:35:18 -0400, Jan Philips

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Hey, that's pretty clever. Maybe I should trademark it.
BTW, that's a compression fitting. that I sort of joked about in another post.

Now you had a good learning experience. Sing plumbing is all similar to that so if you have a problem in the future, you are better equipped to handle it. Plumber would have fixed it in five minutes and charged a minimum of $75 just to show up.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 05:44:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

And the OP would have had to wait an hour or two or more in order to be home when he arrived.
On 7/30/2015 11:12 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Someone sure did do a hack job on cutting it.
Glad you got it fixed, Jan.
In

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it broke, and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.
In wrote:

Well, duh....., I just read the follow-up post by the OP who said it turned out not to be broken and it is now fixed.

And it looks like ABS, not PVC.

Plastic pipe. Replace it. I have used plumbers goop on certain things, but not that connection.
Greg
Jan Philips wrote:

Hi, If the pipe is not vertical, it may be under stress causing the brake. Or picture is showing the T joints in an angle? Is the other end of broken piece a sink?
It looks like Ralph may be right. Either it just fell out or it snapped off inside. You should be able to just loosen the cap (the one with the ridges), push the top pipe back in, then retighten the cap.
From the photo it looks like the pipe is not actually PVC but rather the cheap, thinner, plastic do-it-yourself stuff. If for some reason you can't put the pipes back together as is, go to Home Depot or Lowes, in the section where you can find PVC, and you should be able to find bags of the cheap plastic fittings for sale. They come in a plastic bag with about 10 parts -- sort of a kit for doing a sink drain. PVC and the thinner plastic are not interchangeable.