fix bathtub seal

newbie question:
The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like material.
recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?
Thanks - mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors. When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.
On 14 Feb 2007 08:45:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It's important to get the residual old caulking off too. There is a silicone removal paste you can get to take that final film off. Make sure both surfaces are clean, then go to town with flexible caulking.
I would do the water in the tub thing if it was an exceptionally slim caulking joint. A good 1/8 to 1/4 inch grout line with silicone caulking will stretch quite a bit.
Regards Dale
What's the tub made of?
Hi,
I did what you suggested. I bought some tub and tile sealer at Wal- Mart ... I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the brand. I basically did what you suggested, and it seemed to be okay, except a week later, the new sealant is totally wrinkled and cracked and came out of the cracks.
No idea why.
Poor quality sealant?
I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly. And I let it sit for two days after applying it to let it dry thoroughly.
On Feb 14, 9:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I bought a silicone bath and tub sealant. I used regular painter's tape to tape off a small area between tub and wall (when I tried without, it got sort of messy). Cut a small, diagonal corner off the tip of the tube of caulk. Run it along the seam. Then use a gloved finger to smooth it out. There's probably a better way to do this, but this worked for me.
KB