fix a shovel

I have two shovels. One with a broken handle and another one with a badly bent spade. I was thinking I could just remove the wood left in the one and use the handle of the other one on it. The question I have is what do they use to attach the spade part of the shovel to the handle. Is it a rivet? Would I just shear off the heads on both sides to remove the remains of the handle? Then what is the best way to attach the other handle to it? I already bought another one, but with the parts I have sitting around it seems like I could easily have another one. A man can't have enough shovels after all. Oh and btw the one with the badly bent spade has an unbreakable handle and I tried to break it but the spade bent instead. ;)

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote the following:

Grind the rivet off and use a nut and bolt. I just broke the attachment pole for an electric chain saw today with an extension pole, when the branch fell and took the saw down with it, breaking the fiberglass pole at the connection to the saw. Gonna grind off the rivets and cut the pole at the connection and insert the shortened pole back in with bolts and nuts

Reply to
willshak

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@a1g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...

I have always found this to be a dilemma, finding that most times the point of attachment is the crummiest piece of workmanship on the whole piece. Now, here's what I (sorry, but I can't bolden or italicize or underline I) would do. I would (and have) bolt the shovel back on, using a small bolt. Then weld the head of the bolt on BOTH sides. It works great, and never comes out.

Some of those things, though, like rakes have a hollowed out handle, a tongue of metal from the rake that goes in there, and then a cone that is supposed to keep it all in place. What's up with that idea? I don't know a lot about it, but think I could come up with something better than that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B