Fishing network cables?

Page 2 of 2

There are potential security issues with ANY over-the-air data transmission that do not exist with wired transmission. It's the nature of the beast. Wireless is exactly like radio: it's broadcast, and thus open to all who care to try their hand at cracking in (unlikely though that is, in actuality...).

But I'll bet she could connect even if she had a wireless connection to your home router. In which case the same security issues would apply.

If she is unable to connect using an air card or other direct wireless connection method, then it's likely a security concern. Does she work for a bank or other institution that might be high-risk for cracking attempts?
--
Tegger

I think we tried a usb card one time, but it needed some software & only the administrator could install it.

The risk probably isn't that high, but she's a visiting nurse so there is a lot of sensitive info on the network. [It is amazing how seriously this little private company takes protecting patient info-- the hospital she just left was pretty cavalier about it.]
Jim

For years Bethlehem Steel wouldn't ever let employee users or programmers *dia*l in. Eventually they broke down and permitted it, and now they're out of business. Sounds like a security risk to me.

micky wrote:

Really no system in the world is perfectly secure. I mean 100%. So far there is no such thing like fool proof security. When I was retiring best official security rating was like B+. It was breakable in about 3 month's trying with team of experts for testing.
On 11/3/2011 12:13 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Can be, but more likely a speed issue. Probably running a VPN, and they don't work worth squat over wireless. Can't remember if they can be config'd to lock out home wireless, or it could be it is just timing out when she tries.
--
aem sends...

Not sure about that. The home 'net connection itself is likely to be a lot slower than the wireless connection between computer and router.
--
Tegger

On 11/2/2011 4:28 PM, bob wrote:

drill very small holes (through the floor) next to the baseboard on each side, then stick a thin wire through them. go underneath and drill up between the two wires.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

I can't believe how many stupid-ass posts have been made with that as the answer.
If you have carpeting, then you will fuck up the carpeting with your drill as you drill your hole and the carpet fiber gets wound up around the drill.
And even if that doesn't happen, I bet half the time there will be too much obstruction under the floor in the area you want the hole for you to get a drill in there to drill up.
It's sad that so many people have never seen a long drill bit that makes for an easy hole when you drill through the opening in the wall which you've just cut out for your cover plate.
http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/imgp2150.jpg

Metspitzer wrote:

Try *what* with a coat hanger?
Try drilling with a coat hanger?
Why don't you try to drill a 1/8" (or more likely a 3/16" hole) through your carpeted floor.
You try it and get back to us.

Yes. Drill with a coat hanger. It works.
Cut a coat hanger square on one end and on a 45 on the other end. Put it in a battery drill. It takes about 20 seconds to go through carpet and the floor. You can easily see it from underneath to mark the location of the wall you are trying to fish into.
Metspitzer wrote:

So I'm out one coat-hanger (even if this does work).
And I still have to drill the damn hole through the wall foot-plate, something I can do right off the bat with a long drill:
http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/imgp2150.jpg
Without having to mess with a coat-hanger and struggling in the basement with access to the area.
Why are you discounting or ignoring the use of a stupid 2' or 3' 1/4" drill?
That is by far the fastest and easiest way to do this.

a problem without having to commit to the location.

for 120v stuff.

carpet. If you knock it back up from below when you are finished it can also easily be removed.
On 11/5/2011 5:54 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Well i've done it hundreds of times. Carpet is even better. You just pull it back to drill. It is never attached to the baseboards.
--
Steve Barker