Fishing network cables?

Can be, but more likely a speed issue. Probably running a VPN, and they don't work worth squat over wireless. Can't remember if they can be config'd to lock out home wireless, or it could be it is just timing out when she tries.

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:asKdnRxHb__QxS7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Not sure about that. The home 'net connection itself is likely to be a lot slower than the wireless connection between computer and router.

Reply to
Tegger

-snip-

-snip-

I think we tried a usb card one time, but it needed some software & only the administrator could install it.

The risk probably isn't that high, but she's a visiting nurse so there is a lot of sensitive info on the network. [It is amazing how seriously this little private company takes protecting patient info-- the hospital she just left was pretty cavalier about it.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I think it's more appropriate to say that all fixed devices would be better off using a wired connection.

Hmmm. Do you know how many times I've been at a hotel and have had a bitch of a time getting a decent wifi signal?

Wifi is a cheap, quick and dirty way to get an internet connection, but frequently it's not implimented properly to insure that it's a good connection.

Just because it's "all over the place" doesn't make it better or more reliable than a hard-wired connection.

For a lot of devices, a wifi connection is your only option.

Wait until Greece finally collapses. Then we'll see if Europe is ahead of us.

Reply to
Home Guy

I have always heard them called "bell bits", but (from google) it looks like they are "bell hanger bits" (in the electrical trade). They are for door bell, and similar wires. There is a small cross hole near the tip - you drill, connect the wire on the other side (via the hole), and pull the drill back out.

Reply to
bud--

drill very small holes (through the floor) next to the baseboard on each side, then stick a thin wire through them. go underneath and drill up between the two wires.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I can't believe how many stupid-ass posts have been made with that as the answer.

If you have carpeting, then you will f*ck up the carpeting with your drill as you drill your hole and the carpet fiber gets wound up around the drill.

And even if that doesn't happen, I bet half the time there will be too much obstruction under the floor in the area you want the hole for you to get a drill in there to drill up.

It's sad that so many people have never seen a long drill bit that makes for an easy hole when you drill through the opening in the wall which you've just cut out for your cover plate.

Home Guy

Take a coat hanger and try it. Get back to us.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Try *what* with a coat hanger?

Try drilling with a coat hanger?

Why don't you try to drill a 1/8" (or more likely a 3/16" hole) through your carpeted floor.

You try it and get back to us.

Reply to
Home Guy

Yes. Drill with a coat hanger. It works.

Cut a coat hanger square on one end and on a 45 on the other end. Put it in a battery drill. It takes about 20 seconds to go through carpet and the floor. You can easily see it from underneath to mark the location of the wall you are trying to fish into.

Reply to
Metspitzer

So I'm out one coat-hanger (even if this does work).

And I still have to drill the damn hole through the wall foot-plate, something I can do right off the bat with a long drill:

Without having to mess with a coat-hanger and struggling in the basement with access to the area.

Why are you discounting or ignoring the use of a stupid 2' or 3' 1/4" drill?

That is by far the fastest and easiest way to do this.

Reply to
Home Guy

Because it is a very quick way to locate the wall from below and spot a problem without having to commit to the location.

Those are very nice and work great. That would be my weapon of choice for 120v stuff.

Reply to
Metspitzer

a 2" finishing nail works beutifully and totally dissapears in a carpet. If you knock it back up from below when you are finished it can also easily be removed.

Reply to
clare

I guess that's for drilling up from the basment to put in the doorbell button?

I havent' done that, but I did drill up from the basement to put in the burglar alarm control panel by the front door. I wanted it just above the hall and porch switches. It was hard to control the bit from below and I drilled into the plastic box for the switches and blew the breaker for the hall, which also put me in the dark in the basement!!

But the second time I got it just right, by accident I guess.

Reply to
micky

Well i've done it hundreds of times. Carpet is even better. You just pull it back to drill. It is never attached to the baseboards.

Reply to
Steve Barker