Fisher & Paykel: Washing Machine...

Greetings appliance guru's...
Seldom have I researched a prospective purchase and come up with such conflicting reports. Folks either rave about Fisher & Paykel's washing machines - or trash 'em.
Have the appliance repair community seen a high than usual repair rate for F&P washing machines...? (Frankly, seems all brands have a pretty good incidence of repair necessity - keeps fix-it guys happy, I'll bet...)
Thanks in advance for recommendations.
~waves
If you are in the US buy it at Lowes. For $90 they will give you an extra 4 years on the warranty. Most other stores charge $250 for that coverage. Then don't worry about it if you really like that model. On the other hand I would probably buy the Whirlpool front loader instead and get the 4 year warranty on that.

waves2ya wrote:

Hi,
Something that may help, some consumers opinions.... http://www.epinions.com/Washing_Machines--reviews--fisher_and_paykel
Nobody wants to buy one in my area....lack of service, no parts, no info/support help.
I just bought one of their double drawer dishwashers. The installer dinged it. I complained to Lowes and a repair guy had a replacement part installed in a few days. This is in the Raleigh, NC area. At least on the dishwashers the parts distribution system seems pretty good.

About 6 or 8 years ago, maybe longer, I got a letter from a Korean manufacturer, could have been LG, thay wanted me to establish service in my area. They wanted me to spend thousands on inventory so I could handle most calls first visit. I told them they must be out of their minds. If I took them up on the offer I'd have a bunch of old parts sitting in inventory. Looks like they're selling the stuff now though.
Wonder how many people ask about the warranty when they buy an appliance, not many. Some of the imports have only a 1 year warranty on the sealed system, parts only.
Nothing can be worse than Maytag right now. They charge $155 to replace a motor under parts only warranty in my 2 year old dishwaseher. THe new motor is twice as noisy as the old one and the control panel goes out 2 weeks later. That was the 5th breakdown in the Maytag 3 rack dishwasher in 2 years so it went into the trash. It made my Asko look good.
wrote

I bought a Fisher & Paykel from my local appliance store after being jerked around and given all sorts of misinformation by all the local "big box" stores. It is easily as good or better than any of the new frontloaders at half the cost and no special expensive soap is needed.
Captain Joe Redcloud
I believe Lowes sells it near me in Raleigh, NC.
wrote

Most washing machines offer a 1 yr warranty; F&P's is 2 yrs. And most vendors (Lowes, Karl's) offer an extension to 5 yrs for about $100. Is curious, too, how the epinion site lists 63 (!) reviews; few products seem to elicit such comment...
Check the hatred for the 3 rack Maytag dishwashers. My post is there too.

The one time I worked on a LG was a big, huge, side by side refrigerator. I can't remember what was the customer's complaint. Did get someone on the 800 number, and talked me through the forced defrost cycle. Oh, that's it, the fan wasn't blowing in the freezer.
I ended up changing a few parts, which they sent me n/c. The customer was about an hour drive away from me. Lots of gasoline going there and back.
Finally after three or four parts, it still wasn't fixed. He took it back to the store.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.